UI Translations

Discuss anything about DraStic here.
JeaneMaggie
UI Translations

Post by JeaneMaggie » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:17 pm

Dear developers,

I was wondering if some UI translations for DraStic would be possible.

If any of you are ever interested in translating the UI into other languages, I'd be more than happy to provide Spanish and possibly Korean UI translations.

Exophase

Re: UI Translations

Post by Exophase » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:30 pm

I'll let Lordus chime in on this too, but we've actually really wanted a Korean translator for a long time. The negative reviews of the demo on Google Play are highly overrepresented by Koreans, who probably didn't understand the app description.

Might be able to benefit from Spanish as well, although AFAIK Lordus has resources for this.

JeaneMaggie

Post by JeaneMaggie » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:38 pm

If translations do take place, I will be able to provide the Spanish translation right away. Unfortunately, you'll have to wait about 4-5 more months for a Korean translator. I started to learn Korean about a month ago, and I'll be fluent in a couple of months.
No. No no no no no no.

Fefo

Post by Fefo » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:51 pm

You could set a translation thread with updated strings files, allowing everyone to submit theirs. Once someone checked those it would be fine to incorporate it to the main app. Allow language selection to the app (auto is always annoying) and maybe support for personal, custom strings and you couldn't go wrong.
BE ATTITUDE FOR ENGRISH

TkSilver

Post by TkSilver » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:21 pm

Fefo wrote:You could set a translation thread with updated strings files, allowing everyone to submit theirs. Once someone checked those it would be fine to incorporate it to the main app. Allow language selection to the app (auto is always annoying) and maybe support for personal, custom strings and you couldn't go wrong.
Custom languages... dibs on wingdings.

ericbazinga

Post by ericbazinga » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:53 pm

TkSilver wrote:
Fefo wrote:You could set a translation thread with updated strings files, allowing everyone to submit theirs. Once someone checked those it would be fine to incorporate it to the main app. Allow language selection to the app (auto is always annoying) and maybe support for personal, custom strings and you couldn't go wrong.
Custom languages... dibs on wingdings.
That'll be fun to read.

You can also find me on Reddit (u/Ericbazinga) and Discord (in the DraStic Discord server). You'll find me in those places almost daily and here almost never.

JeaneMaggie

Post by JeaneMaggie » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:02 pm

Fefo wrote:custom strings and you couldn't go wrong.
TkSilver wrote:Custom languages... dibs on wingdings.
When did the custom strings for languages become custom languages?
No. No no no no no no.

TkSilver

Post by TkSilver » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:44 pm

JeaneMaggie wrote:
Fefo wrote:custom strings and you couldn't go wrong.
TkSilver wrote:Custom languages... dibs on wingdings.
When did the custom strings for languages become custom languages?
The best part is "When did a custom string become a custom language become just a custom font?" And the answer is that I am a very sarcastic person with an odd sense of humor.

ericbazinga

Post by ericbazinga » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:43 pm

I'm surprised that you guys didn't just use Google Translate for other languages... I used to use it in Spanish class back when I was in school and my teacher never noticed. I guess the translations were pretty good.

You can also find me on Reddit (u/Ericbazinga) and Discord (in the DraStic Discord server). You'll find me in those places almost daily and here almost never.

JeaneMaggie

Post by JeaneMaggie » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:18 pm

ericbazinga wrote:I'm surprised that you guys didn't just use Google Translate for other languages...
What kind of monster are you?!?!?
ericbazinga wrote:I guess the translations were pretty good.
Google Translate tends to be faulty. Even if the Spanish was okay-ish, what about other languages? How accurate are the translations there? After all, there's nothing like translating by someone who actually knows the language.
No. No no no no no no.