About first posts not showing up...

Discuss anything about DraStic here.
Exophase
About first posts not showing up...

Post by Exophase » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:56 pm

For a long time there's a modqueue in place where a moderator has to approve the first post from a new account, in order to curb spam which was a big problem on the forum at one point.

Unfortunately the forum software has made it really unobvious when there were new posts that weren't in new threads, so we've been missing a ton of these for a long time. I'm just now going through a pretty extensive backlog.

I'm really sorry that I let this happen. We'll be sure to deal better with the forum in the future. If you ever have any problems with posts not showing up please e-mail us, or try making a new thread (we almost always catch these)

huckleberrypie

Re: About first posts not showing up...

Post by huckleberrypie » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:45 am

Exophase wrote:For a long time there's a modqueue in place where a moderator has to approve the first post from a new account, in order to curb spam which was a big problem on the forum at one point.

Unfortunately the forum software has made it really unobvious when there were new posts that weren't in new threads, so we've been missing a ton of these for a long time. I'm just now going through a pretty extensive backlog.

I'm really sorry that I let this happen. We'll be sure to deal better with the forum in the future. If you ever have any problems with posts not showing up please e-mail us, or try making a new thread (we almost always catch these)
Yeah I recall that big spambot issue more than a year ago, when I suggested putting a Q&A CAPTCHA in hopes of putting a stop to them bots, not unless if there is some (paid) human intervention involved.

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:08 pm

huckleberrypie wrote:Yeah I recall that big spambot issue more than a year ago, when I suggested putting a Q&A CAPTCHA in hopes of putting a stop to them bots, not unless if there is some (paid) human intervention involved.
There is a Q&A captcha, but it's hard to keep coming up with good questions that I'm confident everyone who wants to post here will be able to answer.

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:03 am

Exophase wrote:
huckleberrypie wrote:Yeah I recall that big spambot issue more than a year ago, when I suggested putting a Q&A CAPTCHA in hopes of putting a stop to them bots, not unless if there is some (paid) human intervention involved.
There is a Q&A captcha, but it's hard to keep coming up with good questions that I'm confident everyone who wants to post here will be able to answer.
try asking them whether they like to use cheat and complain like ***** if games/saves gets broken, or if they solely use states. a yes would get a pink slip of rejection ;)
Behold my mighty

huckleberrypie

Post by huckleberrypie » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:06 am

Exophase wrote:
That's the drawback with Q&A-based CAPTCHAs, especially on a fan forum where you'll expect members who are just starting to get into a particular fandom or subculture. Sure, it's a Google search away (and that gives human spammers an edge over bots), but still it is a slight deterrent to those who felt inconvenienced at being asked for the first character to appear in an episode of a particular anime.

Overall it goes to show how unethical it is to spam (despite the potential profit to be made) and how burdensome it is for us site owners to mitigate it.

Randogaming

Post by Randogaming » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:07 am

Um...... I don't think you know, so I'll break the news for you, captcha was bypassed by bots a while ago and now bots are able to pass the human verification system with extreme ease. We're talking in seconds. Some can literally bypass the whole captcha and never actually interact with it. Bots got that good