Add pixel doubling option for less blurry image

Discuss anything about DraStic here.
mark_k
Add pixel doubling option for less blurry image

Post by mark_k » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:42 am

This is a suggestion to add an option to pixel-double the DS images before scaling to the final output size. That gives significantly a less blurry final image when you use linear filtering. (The larger the scale factor, the blurrier the final image is.)

You can achieve that now by enabling High-Resolution 3D Rendering. But I assume that has more overhead than simple pixel-doubling, which could maybe be achieved using a shader, prior to linear filtering/scaling to the output resolution.

The file is too large to attach here, but I've uploaded an archive with two pictures. One is with linear filtering/scaling from 256 to 720 (h) pixels. The other is with High-Resolution 3D Rendering enabled - so pixel-doubling then linear filtering/scaling from 512 to 720 (h) pixels.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/hndyk ... g_pics.zip

Lordus

Re: Add pixel doubling option for less blurry image

Post by Lordus » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:14 pm

Unzip it into /sdcard/DraStic/shaders.
Linear2X.zip
(449Bytes)Downloaded 1011 times

mark_k

Post by mark_k » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:53 am

That's brilliant, thanks! Would be great if that filter were installed by default. [Yes I know that's a really late reply...]

milesrotaru

Post by milesrotaru » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:29 am

Quilez looks pretty similar to pixel doubling prior to bilinear filtering. It's just a texture filter that was designed to have sharper pixels than bilinear.