Analogic Gamepad

Discuss anything about DraStic here.
devix96
Analogic Gamepad

Post by devix96 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:37 pm

hi guys,
I have a lot of problems with games like Kingdom heart, Sonic ect, because it is too difficult to control the character with the directional gamepad...

How about adding an analog gamepad? This type:

ericbazinga

Re: Analogic Gamepad

Post by ericbazinga » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:20 pm

devix96 wrote:hi guys,
I have a lot of problems with games like Kingdom heart, Sonic ect, because it is too difficult to control the character with the directional gamepad...

How about adding an analog gamepad? This type:
Try a Bluetooth controller.

You can also find me on Reddit (u/Ericbazinga) and Discord (in the DraStic Discord server). You'll find me in those places almost daily and here almost never.

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:44 pm

DS has a dpad, it doesn't understand anything else.. all touch implementations are going to have to translate into dpad directions one way or another.

ericbazinga

Post by ericbazinga » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:01 pm

Exophase wrote:DS has a dpad, it doesn't understand anything else.. all touch implementations are going to have to translate into dpad directions one way or another.
Well then, if DraStic does eventually add an analog gamepad, it CAN be translated into D-pad directions. An example for this is right on the 3DS, as you can use the Circle Pad as a D-pad while playing DS and DSiWare titles.

You can also find me on Reddit (u/Ericbazinga) and Discord (in the DraStic Discord server). You'll find me in those places almost daily and here almost never.

TkSilver

Post by TkSilver » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:39 pm

Analog is a totaly different type of logic to directional input.

Physical dpads work but giving a key press or input depending on which direction is pushed.
Analog sticks give a x-axis and y axis value for the position of the stick.

Even if Exo put an analog stick in drastic it would not function like an analogue stick all it would be is a analogue stick skin on a dpad. Now the better thing to ask for and maybe he might do it one day would be an 8 direction dpad on the virtual controller. This would give you up, up/right, right, down/right, down, down/left, left, and up/left as a one push. Or you could just increase the dpad touch region modifier and have as close to an analog stick as a directional input based device (ie atari,nes, ds,genesis,ect) could ever have mushy controls and all.

Lordus

Post by Lordus » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:46 pm

TkSilver wrote:Now the better thing to ask for and maybe he might do it one day would be an 8 direction dpad on the virtual controller. This would give you up, up/right, right, down/right, down, down/left, left, and up/left as a one push.
That's what it already does, except if you disable diagonal input in the settings.

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:50 pm

TkSilver wrote:Even if Exo put an analog stick in drastic it would not function like an analogue stick all it would be is a analogue stick skin on a dpad.
This isn't related to anything in the topic, but I just wanted to clarify something since I've seen it come up a bit. Although the app is published under my account, it's a collaboration between me and Lordus, where Lordus does all of the Android-specific parts. So anything related to touch input, the GUI, or getting stuff onto the screen (including shaders) is done by Lordus. I do the emulator core.

Consequently, that also means I'm kind of clueless about how a lot of the interface stuff works.

ericbazinga

Post by ericbazinga » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:20 pm

Exophase wrote:
TkSilver wrote:Even if Exo put an analog stick in drastic it would not function like an analogue stick all it would be is a analogue stick skin on a dpad.
This isn't related to anything in the topic, but I just wanted to clarify something since I've seen it come up a bit. Although the app is published under my account, it's a collaboration between me and Lordus, where Lordus does all of the Android-specific parts. So anything related to touch input, the GUI, or getting stuff onto the screen (including shaders) is done by Lordus. I do the emulator core.

Consequently, that also means I'm kind of clueless about how a lot of the interface stuff works.
Does that include gamepad skins?

TkSilver

Post by TkSilver » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:25 pm

Lordus wrote: That's what it already does, except if you disable diagonal input in the settings.
Whoops I always have that disabled. Although I ment it more as a visual thing like how when you press the right dpad the virtual right dpad button gets depressed. Though personally anything needing sharp or fast response times I just use a bluetooth controller, for tactic, puzzle, and rpgs. I use the virtual controller or pure touch screen depending on the game.
Exophase wrote: Although the app is published under my account, it's a collaboration between me and Lordus, where Lordus does all of the Android-specific parts. So anything related to touch input, the GUI, or getting stuff onto the screen (including shaders) is done by Lordus. I do the emulator core.

Sorry about that, I should probably just use the more generic term dev when I am talking about the pair of you. It is the same tupe of thing as always saying Kleenex instead of facial tissue.

I guess the emulation core itself does not care how an input is received just that the input is sent to it in a specific format it understands. I was not sure how much of the touch/external control was controlled by the core and how much by the front end.

Lordus

Post by Lordus » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:41 pm

TkSilver wrote:Whoops I always have that disabled. Although I ment it more as a visual thing like how when you press the right dpad the virtual right dpad button gets depressed.
The dpad skin has 9 states, but you can only see the diagonal ones if you don't have it disabled ;)