Continuing without auto-loading save state?

Discuss anything about DraStic here.
ExpHP
Continuing without auto-loading save state?

Post by ExpHP » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:52 pm

I prefer to play using in-game saving methods, so I disabled the Autosave option in DraStic. However, today I found that even with this option disabled, DraStic still automatically loads a save state when opening a previously played ROM.

At first, I was worried that I had lost my progress, because the savestate it loaded was very old. However, after soft-resetting the game, I found that my most recent in-game save was still there. It seems pretty clear to me then that the save battery is managed separately; in-game saves will be available regardless of whether or not a save state is loaded. So is there any way to just disable the loading?

Lordus

Re: Continuing without auto-loading save state?

Post by Lordus » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:58 pm

If you load a game from the menu, it should ask you if you want to continue or not. If you don't you can use the in-game saves only.
If you click continue on the main screen, it will load the latest savestate you made. The option is only available if there is a savestate at all.
Does any of this not work correctly for you?

ExpHP

Re: Continuing without auto-loading save state?

Post by ExpHP » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:37 pm

Lordus wrote:If you load a game from the menu, it should ask you if you want to continue or not. If you don't you can use the in-game saves only.
Ah, I saw that, and was afraid to pick "No" as I thought it might clear the save battery. I just tried it now and it does what I want.
Lordus wrote:If you click continue on the main screen, it will load the latest savestate you made. The option is only available if there is a savestate at all.
Okay, I see how this works, now. Yep, things are working as intended. I found and deleted the .dss file, and now that there's no Continue option, there's no confusion; load new game, pick ROM, get title screen.

I still think the auto-loading is a bit of unexpected behavior, but it's a minor inconvenience at best (and won't be an issue as long as I don't make any more save states). Thanks for clarifying!