Question about ARM native emulation

Discuss anything about DraStic here.
Flea
Question about ARM native emulation

Post by Flea » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:44 am

This is something I've been wondering, does the fact that Nintendo DS used a ARM CPU helps with the emulating performance/accuracy of DraStic ? Considering it was made for the Pandora, that also uses an ARM CPU ? Or is it just the same as if you were making it for an x86 CPU ?

Thanks !

Exophase

Re: Question about ARM native emulation

Post by Exophase » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:26 am

There are some things you can do to translate ARM code more directly when targeting ARM instead of x86, and DraStic's ARM recompiler is just in general more optimized than its x86 one. If they were both as equally optimized I don't think the efficiency would be that different, but being stuck with 32-bit mode on x86 (like you currently are in Android) is a decent disadvantage. Still, it runs alright on a dual core Saltwell based SoC and probably a lot better on something with Silvermont.

Accuracy isn't impacted either way, the behavior is supposed to be identical when it's running on x86 or ARM. Where it's not it means there's a bug that needs to be fixed. Usually it's on the ARM side since the code is more complex.

Flea

Post by Flea » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:44 am

Exophase wrote:There are some things you can do to translate ARM code more directly when targeting ARM instead of x86, and DraStic's ARM recompiler is just in general more optimized than its x86 one. If they were both as equally optimized I don't think the efficiency would be that different, but being stuck with 32-bit mode on x86 (like you currently are in Android) is a decent disadvantage. Still, it runs alright on a dual core Saltwell based SoC and probably a lot better on something with Silvermont.

Accuracy isn't impacted either way, the behavior is supposed to be identical when it's running on x86 or ARM. Where it's not it means there's a bug that needs to be fixed. Usually it's on the ARM side since the code is more complex.
So, both being the same architecture gives no potential advantages ?

Also, thanks for the answer

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:37 am

It gives an advantage but it's relatively small.

Flea

Post by Flea » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:11 am

Exophase wrote:It gives an advantage but it's relatively small.
I see, thanks !