Difference between the Android vs iOS?

Discuss anything about DraStic here.
blue.gazer
Difference between the Android vs iOS?

Post by blue.gazer » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:01 am

I don't want to start some sort of war or something but, I had always wondered why Drastic emulates the DS so good and smooth on the android? I've seen alot of comparison videos between the S4 and the iPhone 5s (which i own) and it was pretty clear that the 5s ran faster. However, this really isn't the case because the nds4ios (which is obviously for the iOS) is very slow compared to Drastic. Can anyone please tell me the reasoning for this? Is it perhaps that the emulator for the iOS isn't as well developed as Drastic? Does Drastic use or utilize some sort of special hardware that Android mobiles have? I just want to have a clear understanding between the capability of the two.

Jay Haru

Re: Difference between the Android vs iOS?

Post by Jay Haru » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:00 am

blue.gazer wrote:I don't want to start some sort of war or something but, I had always wondered why Drastic emulates the DS so good and smooth on the android? I've seen alot of comparison videos between the S4 and the iPhone 5s (which i own) and it was pretty clear that the 5s ran faster. However, this really isn't the case because the nds4ios (which is obviously for the iOS) is very slow compared to Drastic. Can anyone please tell me the reasoning for this? Is it perhaps that the emulator for the iOS isn't as well developed as Drastic? Does Drastic use or utilize some sort of special hardware that Android mobiles have? I just want to have a clear understanding between the capability of the two.
overly simplifying it, nds4ios (and nds4droid for that matter) isnt optimized to run on arm (exophase made drastic utilize arm's neon capabilities and now, multithreading) as they are just ports coming from an x86 emulator (desmume).drastic is written for arm in mind (pandora) and while a port itself, android (and ios mind you) uses the same. it actually runs better on a pandora even tho it has weak specs.

its not really about the os. if only apple isnt so walled about emulators, there wouldve been one for ios ages ago (well, they had to be jailbroken so the dynarec(?) would work).

exo and/or lordus might have a more complete idea but what i gave would give some insight about it.
Behold my mighty

blue.gazer

Re: Difference between the Android vs iOS?

Post by blue.gazer » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:28 pm

I see, thank you.