x86 support

Discuss anything about DraStic here.
lastrega
Re: x86 support

Post by lastrega » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:51 pm

I agree, still lags a little on large roms ,ie final fantasy ext, but still runs rather well... My x86 runs almost as smooth as my arm based machines. So good work on the code. And I thank the devs as well for a little over a month ago it wouldn't have worked at all. Just so that y'all know, my CPU is used in 6 cell phones NEW MODELS. so it ain't that crappy.. In fact a single core X86 is way more powerful than most dual core arm based... And I looked at some of the dual cores x86 chips, and they blow away the quad cores.. Can't wait till the quad core atom is released.. So long tegra4... Check the specs at Intel.com. they sound sexy.... But for a black Friday special I like this little mesquite... Runs alright for a single core... I believe x86 will be the future of android, in my opinion that is.. All the next gen windows phones have x86 chips, so you can have that "One experience on any device". Are there any arm based desktops or laptops? No they isn't look at the failure of windows rt. The surface pro however is a real machine with full windows functions... Well worth the extra money. Anyway I,m rambling later friends.

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:23 pm

TnA.Plastic wrote:Btw.: Thank you very much, for adding support for x86 and non-NEON ARM-CPUs! Does it work with MIPS as well (if there's a MIPS-based Android-Device)?
I'm afraid not. Even though the x86 version uses C code where the ARM NEON versions don't it still has an x86 targeting dynamic recompiler. We don't have such a thing for MIPS, and I'm certain the performance would be very poor. It doesn't help that the only MIPS Android devices I know of are powered by Ingenic CPUs that are already very slow. If it looked like they'd start having more than a very tiny market share I'd consider writing a MIPS recompiler, but I don't see any signs of this happening.

TnA.Plastic

Post by TnA.Plastic » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:08 am

lastrega wrote:I agree, still lags a little on large roms ,ie final fantasy ext, but still runs rather well... My x86 runs almost as smooth as my arm based machines. So good work on the code. And I thank the devs as well for a little over a month ago it wouldn't have worked at all. Just so that y'all know, my CPU is used in 6 cell phones NEW MODELS. so it ain't that crappy.. In fact a single core X86 is way more powerful than most dual core arm based...
I agree! It is more powerful, but for example I say it is possible to program a high precision N64-emulator for the PS2, which doesn't emulate it on higher abstractions, due to it's CPU-Architecture (except for 64Bit - floats, which either need to be emulated, or maybe could be executed using the EmotionEngine's SIMD-Instructions). With a TLB-Trick (for emulated RAM) and a way to send the CPU - Opcodes directly to the CPU, instead of recompiling them or interpreting higher abstractions... Additionally to it being (hypothetically) a high-precition N64-Emulator, I still think it could run almost any game with 2times-speed and with better graphics. Technically on a low-level-hardware, but due to using lot less abstractions and thus have a lot lesser latency, which emulators really depend on.
And I looked at some of the dual cores x86 chips, and they blow away the quad cores..
...and finally they don't use that much more power/energy, than before! :D
Especially this feature, where it really turns off cores (not that normal deep sleep) is cool! Should feature nearly "endless" standby, up to a month (atleast on Tablets, which have a bigger battery).
Can't wait till the quad core atom is released.. So long tegra4...
Didn't they already announce the next gen (of Tegra)?
Check the specs at Intel.com. they sound sexy.... But for a black Friday special I like this little mesquite... Runs alright for a single core... I believe x86 will be the future of android, in my opinion that is.. All the next gen windows phones have x86 chips, so you can have that "One experience on any device". Are there any arm based desktops or laptops? No they isn't look at the failure of windows rt.
But you have to ask, "WHY?"!
ARM-SoCs used to consume much less power then x86/64-based and the power was simply not needed before.
Anyway,... x86 might be the future there, but the circuits have to get smaller and 3D-made circuits finally should be in mass-produced chips. Additionally those chips should feature the techniques to use the heat a chip produces, to induce/get electric energy back...

Windows RT is an entirely different case... :lol:
The surface pro however is a real machine with full windows functions... Well worth the extra money. Anyway I,m rambling later friends.
Well,... I guess it depends on anyone's opinion, if they want to spend the extra-money or not. ;)
Exophase wrote:
TnA.Plastic wrote:Btw.: Thank you very much, for adding support for x86 and non-NEON ARM-CPUs! Does it work with MIPS as well (if there's a MIPS-based Android-Device)?
I'm afraid not. Even though the x86 version uses C code where the ARM NEON versions don't it still has an x86 targeting dynamic recompiler.

Ah, o.k.!
I wonder how efficient it runs on these...

Maybe "lastrega" can test it without frameskip on fast forward with a ROM, which is hard to emulate.
We don't have such a thing for MIPS, and I'm certain the performance would be very poor. It doesn't help that the only MIPS Android devices I know of are powered by Ingenic CPUs that are already very slow. If it looked like they'd start having more than a very tiny market share I'd consider writing a MIPS recompiler, but I don't see any signs of this happening.
Yerp, probably not important yet.