Pokemon B/W cross-emulator saves compatibility

Discuss anything about DraStic here.
Ran_TH
Pokemon B/W cross-emulator saves compatibility

Post by Ran_TH » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:13 am

Firstly I want to say that I've tested demo version of drastic and I say that I'm impressed by this emulator capabilities :D I am thinking to purchase it, but I have a question to ask.

Does Pokemon Black/White 1 saves can be transferred to Windows emulator e.g. DesMuMe at current version, and vice versa? Does anyone has tested it? From what I read on Google and this forum, it's like a hit and miss case. I am planning to play both on PC and my phone.

Yes I've read through forums and internet, I posted one thread here just want to make sure :D Sorry if I missed something.

Thank you!

Jay Haru

Re: Pokemon B/W cross-emulator saves compatibility

Post by Jay Haru » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:42 am

the ingame saves (dsv) are compatible though theres some games that seem to be an exception (we had reports of black2 not working but my tests worked on desmume).
Behold my mighty

Ran_TH

Post by Ran_TH » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:31 pm

Thanks for the answer :D

Finally I've decided to purchase it, best decision so far. Although to my disappointment I can't seems to load my Pokemon White 1 saves in Desmume v0.9.1. There's no error message whatsoever, main menu just list a "New Game" without option to continue.
I'm sure I have copied dsv file from /sdcard/drastic/backup to Desmume's battery's folder and keep the name similar to ROM's filename, but no avail. I do noticed increase in 1 KB in save file after I loaded it in Desmume though.

Does ROM which used to play the game is being problematic?

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:56 pm

Ran_TH wrote:Thanks for the answer :D

Finally I've decided to purchase it, best decision so far. Although to my disappointment I can't seems to load my Pokemon White 1 saves in Desmume v0.9.1. There's no error message whatsoever, main menu just list a "New Game" without option to continue.
I'm sure I have copied dsv file from /sdcard/drastic/backup to Desmume's battery's folder and keep the name similar to ROM's filename, but no avail. I do noticed increase in 1 KB in save file after I loaded it in Desmume though.

from what i know, desmume just adds a footer to the file hence the 1kb increase. in any case, youre the first one to have encountered it on white coz usually its black that was reorted. imma inform the devs of this and they may contact you. what is the device you are using for the app?

also, try using desmume 0.9.9

you may have better compatibility with the newer ones.
Behold my mighty

Ran_TH

Post by Ran_TH » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:00 pm

Jay Haru wrote:
Ran_TH wrote:Thanks for the answer :D

from what i know, desmume just adds a footer to the file hence the 1kb increase. in any case, youre the first one to have encountered it on white coz usually its black that was reorted. imma inform the devs of this and they may contact you. what is the device you are using for the app?
Thank you, I'm using AMOI N828. Emulator runs nicely in this device with no problem.
From my further test I can seems to load Desmume saves in Drastic, but not the other way around. If I overwrite the save in Drastic and return it back to Desmume, again it becomes unreadable.

Oh, I don't know if there's v0.9.9. Maybe google search has failed me. I'll do one more test, hang on :)

EDIT: Ooops... sorry. I mistyped Desmume's version number in OP. I'm using v0.9.10 right now so yeah it still does not work.

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:37 pm

okay then, will refer this to the devs. one of them wanted to check this problem for ages but we cant seem to find one the does this. thanks for reporting
Behold my mighty

Ran_TH

Post by Ran_TH » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:42 pm

Thanks for the support Jay :)

By the way I just ran another test. I played Sonic Colors this time.

I played one level in Drastic then I move over the saves to Desmume. The result is the same, Desmume does not read the save and the game starting over.

So I played one level in Desmume, then I move the saves to Drastic. The result is, it can load my progress fine.

I advanced to next level in Drastic, and then I move the save again to Desmume. Again, Desmume can't read it and my progress is lost. It plays again from intro. For the curiousity I copied over again that save from Desmume back to my Drastic, and yes it's the same. It start from intro.

So apparently it's probably not a game spesific issue, there's something that makes Drastic wrote a save that unreadable in Desmume, I wonder why :(

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:01 pm

hnnnn. maybe you could try it on desmume 0.9.9? one reason may be that the footer that desmume adds could be used by the system.

also, theres this save file converter that allegedly fixes this issue. you can try searching that in this forums and try it.

www.drastic-ds.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=137

refer to that thread. while its not explicitly told there, one tester i know (officially credited on the app) said that it does fix the dsv for use in desmume so youmay want to try it out.
Behold my mighty

Ran_TH

Post by Ran_TH » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:10 am

Well well what do you know, using v0.9.9 does works! Now it can see my Drastic saves, finally.
And it works vice-versa, so far. Hope it stay that way.
Is support for next version of Desmume will be in the works?

Thanks for your help Jay :D

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:54 am

unfortunately being that drastic and desmume are developed inependently, its was really luck that it has cross compatibility at all. what with desmume breaking it, we cant do anything for it to be comatible. one trick may be if the ingame saves from higher versions of desmume would be readable in 9.9 then you can 'convert' it so drastic can read it.

that or use the app in the linbk i provided earlier.
Behold my mighty