How to decrease battery impact?

Discuss anything about DraStic here.
imeem
How to decrease battery impact?

Post by imeem » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:29 pm

Do enabling settings like fast forward, filter, multi threaded, sound, and microphone have a negative impact on battery life?

Exophase

Re: How to decrease battery impact?

Post by Exophase » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:33 am

We haven't done any actual experiments so it's hard to know for sure. These are just some educated guesses.

Fast forward: It will probably increase power consumption, the more it actually speeds things up. Lowering the fast-forward cap should therefore lower the impact.
Filters: Impact should be small but non-zero.
Multi-threaded: It depends on the game, but it's possible that this could actually increase battery life. Always remember though, this causes glitches in some games.
Sound: It shouldn't increase power consumption through more CPU utilization, but it may increase power consumption just by virtue of driving the speakers. So that should be proportionate to how high your volume is.
Microphone: I don't know about Android devices but on Pandora we could see a big measurable increase in power consumption when microphone is enabled. I have to ask how Lordus handles this but it only gets enabled if the game tries to use it, so it doesn't apply to everything there.

powerbom4580

Re: How to decrease battery impact?

Post by powerbom4580 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:31 am

What I was put my phone onto airplane mode to disable wifi and any signals and searches, and disable the microphone. It seems to last a decent amount (maybe 4 or so hours straight [a rough approximation]). Drastic being 47% of the battery usage, 34% from the screen, and 13% of the droid system all from my last burst of heartgold. I'm afraid that this is only a very rough approximation. Oh, and it says it's been 3 hours since my last charge.
And I should probably mention that I also used Bluetooth with a Gametel game pad.