Savestate (.dss) extractor

Discuss anything about DraStic here.
Jay Haru
Re: Savestate (.dss) extractor

Post by Jay Haru » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:54 pm

ChuckZ wrote:I was reading this topic from the beginning which led me curious to ask this question which I'm sure everyone can use for future reference.

I am using the latest DraStic for my GS4. I am playing pokemon black 2 at the moment and I am using both quick save button and in-game saving for special game events when required. If I ever buy a real Nintendo 3DS console and a r4 card or whichever card is needed to play Pokemon X or Y as well. Would it be possible to trade my pokemon or continue my game on the DS? Through any means? To be honest all I care about is my pokemon since I put a lot of time into training them.

Thanks in advance!
in a nutshell, you cant. simply because nintendo doesnt like to help piracy. only choice foryou is tobuy a nds, buy all pokemons for nds, buy 3ds buy all pokemon chromosomes and subscribe to pokemon bank.
Behold my mighty

CyberScopes

Post by CyberScopes » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:50 am

Im still willing to try and fix my save :P After a while of experimenting, i figured out that drastic doesnt seem to be reading my ingame save files from the /Drastic/backup folder. Where is it loading the save from? Ive turned "save ingame saves in savestates" option off, so it shouldnt be reading from a save state.

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:11 am

CyberScopes wrote:Im still willing to try and fix my save :P After a while of experimenting, i figured out that drastic doesnt seem to be reading my ingame save files from the /Drastic/backup folder. Where is it loading the save from? Ive turned "save ingame saves in savestates" option off, so it shouldnt be reading from a save state.
while i applaud your tenacity, i am afraid its a fools errand seeing as you have falsely believed that in game saves are read somewhere else. whether you enable or disable the ingame saves in savestates option, yor ingame saves are always saved in the backup folder. the option only means that savestates contain a copy of the ingame saves to prevent desynching of saves which caused errors before.
Behold my mighty

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:50 am

ChuckZ wrote:I was reading this topic from the beginning which led me curious to ask this question which I'm sure everyone can use for future reference.

I am using the latest DraStic for my GS4. I am playing pokemon black 2 at the moment and I am using both quick save button and in-game saving for special game events when required. If I ever buy a real Nintendo 3DS console and a r4 card or whichever card is needed to play Pokemon X or Y as well. Would it be possible to trade my pokemon or continue my game on the DS? Through any means? To be honest all I care about is my pokemon since I put a lot of time into training them.

Thanks in advance!
Apparently you can't even transfer DS Pokemon to X/Y right now. You'll be able to do it in December with some companion apps: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/05/ ... mon-to-x-y

I don't know exactly how this will work but I assume you'll run the app on a 3DS, insert the DS cartridge and run the app, which will scan the cartridge and upload Pokemon from it to the 3DS's internal memory or somewhere on the web or something. Then you insert the 3DS game and transfer the saves to it.

For this to work with a flashcart it'd have to be capable of appearing autonomously (ie, without running through a loader or anything) to be a DS Pokemon game. It'd have to emulate the cart interface properly, it won't be able to rely on patching the game to support saves. And it'd have to be impervious to whatever anti-piracy stuff Nintendo puts in while checking the game - again, without patching the game. In other words, it'd have to look exactly like an authentic Pokemon DS cart, and I doubt that R4 or any other flash cart will be capable of this.

What I recommend is buy the DS game(s) if you haven't already. You can use homebrew tools to upload save files to their internal save storage. Then you'll definitely be able to use it to transfer to 3DS and you'll have the added benefit of knowing you're properly supporting the game developer.

BigBoss

Post by BigBoss » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:31 pm

If you have the actual Pokemon cartridge, a DS (I believe a Lite ), an EZ Flash Ram expansion, and a flashcart there are ways of taking the .sav files from emulators and overwriting the card's save file and putting one from an emulator. Though I think you should do your own research on these things because they are sketchy.

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:54 pm

BigBoss wrote:If you have the actual Pokemon cartridge, a DS (I believe a Lite ), an EZ Flash Ram expansion, and a flashcart there are ways of taking the .sav files from emulators and overwriting the card's save file and putting one from an emulator. Though I think you should do your own research on these things because they are sketchy.
I actually think this isn't sketchy at all, and is a great example of how you can use flashcart without infringing on someone's copyright. So by all means if you want to talk about it here go ahead.

Here's one method for doing it over wifi: http://gbatemp.net/threads/nds-backup-tool-wifi.252623/
Here's another one: http://blog.b-ark.ca/savsender

There are also stand-alone devices that will let you extract or modify the saves on a DS card, like this one: http://www.amazon.com/NDS-Adapter-Plus- ... B007QVG3LG They're more expensive than flash carts, but it's preferable if you don't have a DS/DSi/3DS. They're also probably less work to deal with.

It'd be pretty cool using a device like this to dump ROMs directly to an Android device. Even better would be emulating gamecard directly plugged in, like Retrode can do (unfortunately the author of Retrode is against DS support for several reasons)

CyberScopes

Post by CyberScopes » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:45 am

Dont worry about it, I just started a new game and got over it.