Higher resolution rendering

Discuss anything about DraStic here.
Fefo
Higher resolution rendering

Post by Fefo » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:08 am

Is there any public development in that area? Back them Exophase talked about his/her wishes of fiddling with it: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1550

It's been one year and at least the overall processing power increased a lot. Is still unviable to do it? Is hardware rendering still not an option? Using DeSmuME X432R while my phone was broken spoiled me a lot.
BE ATTITUDE FOR ENGRISH

Exophase

Re: Higher resolution rendering

Post by Exophase » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:32 am

I'm working on it now, but it'll be out in the version after the next one (which will be out very very soon, just trying to catch last minute things)

Fefo

Post by Fefo » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:31 am

How heavily it's hitting performance? On DeSmuME it's pretty severe, much more so on soft rendering, but DraStic runs much better than it considering each hardware.
BE ATTITUDE FOR ENGRISH

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:10 pm

Fefo wrote:How heavily it's hitting performance? On DeSmuME it's pretty severe, much more so on soft rendering, but DraStic runs much better than it considering each hardware.
I don't know yet what the performance will be like, my initial work has only been on a PC Linux version (I do all of my initial development there). I mean, everything I've tested (2x2 rendering, 512x384 - this is all it will support) runs fullspeed on my i5-2500K desktop but I don't think that tells you anything useful. And I haven't yet done any of the work to integrate the 2D rendering into it, it's working basically by bypassing the 2D subsystem entirely, just to have something to start working with (so overlaid graphics and the like are missing)

It'll probably be a few more weeks before Lordus and I can start giving preliminary performance numbers. What I can tell you is that it's software rendered, like DraStic has always been, and I don't have plans for trying hardware rendering in the foreseeable future (and if I did, I can't say for sure that it'd be faster, especially on all devices, and such a thing would definitely require OpenGL ES 3.0 or better). So it'll need a lot of CPU power, since the 3D part will need ~4x time to render those pixels (and the 2D part will need some more time too). A high-end quad core is preferable because the 3D rendering is split between 3 threads if you have the cores.

Fefo

Post by Fefo » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:14 pm

Looks loosely similar to mine, so I can see how things will work when they do. Multithreading is good news though; I'll need every bit I can to play it on my Nexus 4, with mininal skipping if I'm lucky.

Thanks for your insight Exophase.
BE ATTITUDE FOR ENGRISH

Causality

Post by Causality » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:19 pm

Exophase wrote:
Fefo wrote:How heavily it's hitting performance? On DeSmuME it's pretty severe, much more so on soft rendering, but DraStic runs much better than it considering each hardware.
I don't know yet what the performance will be like, my initial work has only been on a PC Linux version (I do all of my initial development there). I mean, everything I've tested (2x2 rendering, 512x384 - this is all it will support) runs fullspeed on my i5-2500K desktop but I don't think that tells you anything useful. And I haven't yet done any of the work to integrate the 2D rendering into it, it's working basically by bypassing the 2D subsystem entirely, just to have something to start working with (so overlaid graphics and the like are missing)

It'll probably be a few more weeks before Lordus and I can start giving preliminary performance numbers. What I can tell you is that it's software rendered, like DraStic has always been, and I don't have plans for trying hardware rendering in the foreseeable future (and if I did, I can't say for sure that it'd be faster, especially on all devices, and such a thing would definitely require OpenGL ES 3.0 or better). So it'll need a lot of CPU power, since the 3D part will need ~4x time to render those pixels (and the 2D part will need some more time too). A high-end quad core is preferable because the 3D rendering is split between 3 threads if you have the cores.
Sounds very promising. If you need some performance testing done my Note 4 is at your service.

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:50 pm

So, the implementation is more or less done. Although I'm sure there will still be things to fix and add. Lordus is testing it in Android now. Hope to have videos and some performance comparisons up soon.

huckleberrypie

Post by huckleberrypie » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:43 pm

Exophase wrote:So, the implementation is more or less done. Although I'm sure there will still be things to fix and add. Lordus is testing it in Android now. Hope to have videos and some performance comparisons up soon.
Here's the real kicker: games with sloppy viewport configurations e.g. Kit Mystery Challenge may suffer from scaling issues, or at least that's what happens with Desumume X432R.

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:11 pm

huckleberrypie wrote:Here's the real kicker: games with sloppy viewport configurations e.g. Kit Mystery Challenge may suffer from scaling issues, or at least that's what happens with Desumume X432R.
Yeah, that's going to be the real deciding factor here ;)

DraStic just sets the viewport to full in that case, that's not what a real DS does (there's some weird off by one thing going on there), but what DeSmuME doesn't quite handle that case right either (as you could guess) I was going to do more to try to handle this right, but the change kind of snuck in there. Either way, I don't see why it'd make a different for high-res, but I can check it.

zeroobligation

Post by zeroobligation » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:59 pm

Exophase wrote:So, the implementation is more or less done. Although I'm sure there will still be things to fix and add. Lordus is testing it in Android now. Hope to have videos and some performance comparisons up soon.
Wow that is exciting news! Thanks Exophase and Lordus! I can't wait. :D