NGEmu (N-Gage/Symbian emulator)

Post whatever!
huckleberrypie
NGEmu (N-Gage/Symbian emulator)

Post by huckleberrypie » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:32 am

Anyone heard of this project? Some chap decided to take on the task of emulating said phone, but it has been stalled for the time being due to lack of documentation:
https://github.com/NGEmu/NGEmu

I first heard of the N-Gage through an educational magazine programme some fifteen years ago, and it was marketed as a gaming phone with rather lofty ambitions, but as history had it, the console/phone hybrid was no match to Nintendo's still undisputed dominance on the handheld market, mostly due to Nokia's engineering and marketing blunders.

Fefo

Re: NGEmu (N-Gage/Symbian emulator)

Post by Fefo » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:51 pm

Poor, but straightforward, name. Hard to find a emulator with the same name of a large emulation forum.

Heard of it way back then, and while the ads could swoon a child like me it was bound to fail due to a market that's pretty hard.
BE ATTITUDE FOR ENGRISH

huckleberrypie

Post by huckleberrypie » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:59 pm

Fefo wrote:Poor, but straightforward, name. Hard to find a emulator with the same name of a large emulation forum.

Heard of it way back then, and while the ads could swoon a child like me it was bound to fail due to a market that's pretty hard.
Yeah, that lends to the confusion. Should've used a synonym imo like Attract or something, idk. I am not sure if this project would attract (pun intended) interest from programmers especially with Symbian or ARM experience in general, given its niche status as a result of poor marketing and what is essentially a Symbian handset fashioned into a games console (Symbian never panned out in the US for one; people there wouldn't be aware of smartphones until the introduction of the iPhone).

huckleberrypie

Post by huckleberrypie » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:02 am

Oh and there's also this emulator being developed by some Vietnamese guy:
https://github.com/bentokun/EKA2L1