DamonPS2 Pro Emulator

Post whatever!
MrPocketGamer98
DamonPS2 Pro Emulator

Post by MrPocketGamer98 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:34 am

So apparently there's a new PS2 emulator on Android called the DamonPS2 Pro Emulator. It costs 10 dollars on the play store and it surprisingly is booting up games.Does anyone on here know anything else about it? I have recorded a couple of test videos of it and its working relatively well.

Link to Test Videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... zX4ZziT8e6
Check out my Emulator Test Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/mrpocketgamer98

Platybus

Re: DamonPS2 Pro Emulator

Post by Platybus » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:33 am

MrPocketGamer98 wrote:So apparently there's a new PS2 emulator on Android called the DamonPS2 Pro Emulator. It costs 10 dollars on the play store and it surprisingly is booting up games.Does anyone on here know anything else about it? I have recorded a couple of test videos of it and its working relatively well.

Link to Test Videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... zX4ZziT8e6
I think it's been proven that it uses PCSX2's code in certain way. The dev also claimed the emulator has PPSSPP's code in it, but I don't know in which way. Nonetheless, it's making a profit off other people's codes, so I think he'll be forced to modificate it or something. Nothing concrete, though.

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:02 pm

It's definitely using source code from PCSX2 and PPSSPP. The developer refuses to admit it, calls it gossip. They're in violation of the GPL and they can't be trusted.

There are also a lot of red flags on the app page. They're misleading people into thinking that giving five star ratings will help development. If you look at the reviews almost all of them are made in anticipation of significant future development. Their claim that hiring a new developer will enable 2x to 10x performance improvements is particularly dubious.

I think all told this is about as bare-bones a port of PCSX2 as possible, likely with a very straightforward (but not especially efficient) of single x86 instructions to one or more ARM instructions. The videos look impressive because there was an assumption that getting full speed in anything would be impossible on modern phone hardware. But if you look at PCSX2 running FFX on an old Baytrail Atom tablet and compare a similar gameplay segment with DamonPS2 running on a new Galaxy S8+ the performance isn't that different. And the tablet has a much weaker CPU.

huckleberrypie

Post by huckleberrypie » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:06 pm

Exophase wrote:It's definitely using source code from PCSX2 and PPSSPP. The developer refuses to admit it, calls it gossip. They're in violation of the GPL and they can't be trusted.

There are also a lot of red flags on the app page. They're misleading people into thinking that giving five star ratings will help development. If you look at the reviews almost all of them are made in anticipation of significant future development. Their claim that hiring a new developer will enable 2x to 10x performance improvements is particularly dubious.

I think all told this is about as bare-bones a port of PCSX2 as possible, likely with a very straightforward (but not especially efficient) of single x86 instructions to one or more ARM instructions. The videos look impressive because there was an assumption that getting full speed in anything would be impossible on modern phone hardware. But if you look at PCSX2 running FFX on an old Baytrail Atom tablet and compare a similar gameplay segment with DamonPS2 running on a new Galaxy S8+ the performance isn't that different. And the tablet has a much weaker CPU.
Has this been brought to the PCSX2 team's attention already?

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:16 pm

huckleberrypie wrote:Has this been brought to the PCSX2 team's attention already?
Yeah they know all about it. The PCSX devs gave DamonPS2 a week to come clean and do the right thing before they start issuing DMCAs takedowns. DamonPS2 sent back an utterly bizarre response claiming that they didn't do anything wrong and it was a misunderstanding, but that they'd offer an exorbitant sum of money (five hundred thousand dollars!! Incidentally, about the amount of gross revenue they're asking for before they'll release a free version..) to ease problems. Naturally the PCSX2 devs didn't take this seriously and are pushing forward with the DMCA claim, so I guess we'll see where that goes. I believe the PPSSPP team also issued one.

You can read about the PCSX2 response here, but you need an account to view it.

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:07 pm

Exophase wrote:DamonPS2 sent back an utterly bizarre response claiming that they didn't do anything wrong and it was a misunderstanding, but that they'd offer an exorbitant sum of money (five hundred thousand dollars!! Incidentally, about the amount of gross revenue they're asking for before they'll release a free version..) to ease problems.
I imagine they said it like so...

Behold my mighty

MrPocketGamer98

Post by MrPocketGamer98 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:15 am

Thanks for the explanation exo!

huckleberrypie

Post by huckleberrypie » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:50 am

Exophase wrote:
huckleberrypie wrote:Has this been brought to the PCSX2 team's attention already?
Yeah they know all about it. The PCSX devs gave DamonPS2 a week to come clean and do the right thing before they start issuing DMCAs takedowns. DamonPS2 sent back an utterly bizarre response claiming that they didn't do anything wrong and it was a misunderstanding, but that they'd offer an exorbitant sum of money (five hundred thousand dollars!! Incidentally, about the amount of gross revenue they're asking for before they'll release a free version..) to ease problems. Naturally the PCSX2 devs didn't take this seriously and are pushing forward with the DMCA claim, so I guess we'll see where that goes. I believe the PPSSPP team also issued one.

You can read about the PCSX2 response here, but you need an account to view it.
Well, we'll see how this drama goes. :P

And epic lulz at Jay too.

ericbazinga

Post by ericbazinga » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:58 pm

Interesting. Even if DamonPS2 gets taken down, i'd love to see PCSX2 salvage it as an android port of the emulator.

You can also find me on Reddit (u/Ericbazinga) and Discord (in the DraStic Discord server). You'll find me in those places almost daily and here almost never.

MrPocketGamer98

Post by MrPocketGamer98 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:46 am

PCSX2 has officially filed a DMCA takedown

Link: https://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-android ... ty?page=11