Page 1 of 1

Opnions on Switch developers requiring downloads

Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:54 pm
by ericbazinga
So I've noticed that there's a lot of Nintendo Switch games that have been requiring downloads in addition to your standard purchase or download. If you download the games digitally, it's no big deal (although you'll absolutely need an SD card as these games are 20GB or more), but if you buy the games physically, you'll still need to download massive 'patches'. For example, L.A. Noire requires a 14GB patch before the game can be played. That download is larger than THE ENTIRETY OF ZELDA BOTW (13.4GB)! And a lot of other games are starting to require this too. Doom has the entire campaign on the cartridge (thank you), but multiplayer is an additional 9GB download. Resident Evil Revelations Collection has Revelations 1 on the cart, but Revelations 2 is a seperate 26GB download. NBA 2K18 needs 2 downloads, totaling at 22.8GB (plus 5GB per save file), and WWE 2K18 needs a 24GB download. It may not seem like a big deal (unless you want any digital games on your Switch), but further down the line, once Nintendo shuts down the Switch servers, these games will be unplayable without the patches.
The worst part is, a lot of these games could technically be all on the cartridge, as Nintendo offers a 32GB game card model. But none of these developers do, because the 16GB card is cheaper. And so these developers throw us under the bus with these downloads just so they can make more money by using the cheaper cards. And by the way, at wholesale prices, the 32GB cards are only $5 more expensive than the 16GB ones. Yes, just $5. Considering that we're already paying $10 more for games on Switch, would it really hurt to make that $15? I know a lot of people wouldn't mind (including me). I was gonna get L.A. Noire once I got a Switch, but now i'm reconsidering.

Re: Opnions on Switch developers requiring downloads

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:22 am
by huckleberrypie
The big N shooting themselves in the foot again, eh? And this is considering how not everyone has a capable internet connection.

Re: Opnions on Switch developers requiring downloads

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:46 pm
by ericbazinga
huckleberrypie wrote:The big N shooting themselves in the foot again, eh? And this is considering how not everyone has a capable internet connection.

It's not Nintendo, though. Their first-party games are much smaller in file size, and none of them require downloads. It's the third-party games that are doing this. I can see why, since Nintendo's developing games designed for Switch, whereas other developers are porting games from other systems. You'd think Nintendo would give them some pointers or require the 32GB game card, but it's already hard enough to port games to Switch (with the less powerful hardware and all), so any more requirements, such as the increased development of the port or the more expensive cart, may cause some developers to decide that developing Switch ports is just more trouble than it's worth.

Re: Opnions on Switch developers requiring downloads

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:06 pm
by huckleberrypie
ericbazinga wrote:
huckleberrypie wrote:The big N shooting themselves in the foot again, eh? And this is considering how not everyone has a capable internet connection.

It's not Nintendo, though. Their first-party games are much smaller in file size, and none of them require downloads. It's the third-party games that are doing this. I can see why, since Nintendo's developing games designed for Switch, whereas other developers are porting games from other systems. You'd think Nintendo would give them some pointers or require the 32GB game card, but it's already hard enough to port games to Switch (with the less powerful hardware and all), so any more requirements, such as the increased development of the port or the more expensive cart, may cause some developers to decide that developing Switch ports is just more trouble than it's worth.

Hence why Nintendo and third parties just don't seem to get along well ever since the NES days. On another note I do wonder about how feasible would it be to port the likes of L.A. Noire to Android though. High end SOCs can theoretically handle a PS3/X360 era game, but the additional overhead brought by the operating system, along with how big the game is, might make such a port rather hard to pull off.

Re: Opnions on Switch developers requiring downloads

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:08 am
by ericbazinga
huckleberrypie wrote:On another note I do wonder about how feasible would it be to port the likes of L.A. Noire to Android though. High end SOCs can theoretically handle a PS3/X360 era game, but the additional overhead brought by the operating system, along with how big the game is, might make such a port rather hard to pull off.

It'd have to be exclusive to SHIELD devices, as those are the only Android devices capable of running it (since they have virtually the same specs as the Switch), although the digital download of L.A. Noire (~40GB) would fill up most of a 64GB tablet's space.

Re: Opnions on Switch developers requiring downloads

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:48 am
by huckleberrypie
ericbazinga wrote:
huckleberrypie wrote:On another note I do wonder about how feasible would it be to port the likes of L.A. Noire to Android though. High end SOCs can theoretically handle a PS3/X360 era game, but the additional overhead brought by the operating system, along with how big the game is, might make such a port rather hard to pull off.

It's have to be exclusive to SHIELD devices, as those are the only Android devices capable of running it (since they have virtually the same specs). Although the digital download of L.A. Noire (~40GB) would fill up most of a 64GB tablet's space.

Afaik the PC version of L.A. Noire took up less space, and that is rather ironic considering how the console versions were much bigger judging from the listings off TPB and various other torrent sites.

Re: Opnions on Switch developers requiring downloads

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:41 am
by ericbazinga
huckleberrypie wrote:Afaik the PC version of L.A. Noire took up less space, and that is rather ironic considering how the console versions were much bigger judging from the listings off TPB and various other torrent sites.

Which version of L.A. Noire? This new version is a remake, although both versions are available on PC. The file size I listed was for the Switch version.

Re: Opnions on Switch developers requiring downloads

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:38 am
by huckleberrypie
ericbazinga wrote:
huckleberrypie wrote:Afaik the PC version of L.A. Noire took up less space, and that is rather ironic considering how the console versions were much bigger judging from the listings off TPB and various other torrent sites.

Which version of L.A. Noire? This new version is a remake, although both versions are available on PC. The file size I listed was for the Switch version.

The original Windows port by Rockstar Leeds. I wouldn't call the PS4/XBONE/Switch ports as remakes but rather as a remaster or a re-release imo.

Re: Opnions on Switch developers requiring downloads

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:32 pm
by ericbazinga
huckleberrypie wrote:
ericbazinga wrote:
huckleberrypie wrote:Afaik the PC version of L.A. Noire took up less space, and that is rather ironic considering how the console versions were much bigger judging from the listings off TPB and various other torrent sites.

Which version of L.A. Noire? This new version is a remake, although both versions are available on PC. The file size I listed was for the Switch version.

The original Windows port by Rockstar Leeds. I wouldn't call the PS4/XBONE/Switch ports as remakes but rather as a remaster or a re-release imo.

Yeah, it really is more of a remaster.