Eric and Huckelberrypie Discuss Nintendo's corporate nature

Post whatever!
huckleberrypie
Re: Eric and Huckelberrypie Discuss Nintendo's corporate nature

Post by huckleberrypie » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:33 am

Well it's your two cents anyway, I'm not saying Big N should merely do what the others do, but rather be moderate and not end up alienating their base.

Fefo

Post by Fefo » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:12 pm

I'm not into the main subject, but about AM2R: DoctorM64 put several updates, betas and stuff along the years. He put a a 1 month timer, to end on Metroid's birthday, which people always talked about every time Federation Force came about. He launched it, to much praise, and only then got C&D'ed.

Maybe the launch noise made the Ncops hear about it, but I still think they played dumb for as long as they could and only acted to wash their hands. Anyway, I still got the game.

Closer to the main discussion: I would love to see a complete crackdown on piracy, just to laugh when companies start to mull about the decreased exposition.
BE ATTITUDE FOR ENGRISH

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:26 pm

you might as well ask for the complete shutdown of the internet then
Behold my mighty

Fefo

Post by Fefo » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:11 pm

Heh, some anti-piracy guys would love to do it. Thankfully the medium works the way it works, or else a lot of digital content would simply disappear.
BE ATTITUDE FOR ENGRISH

ericbazinga

Post by ericbazinga » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:08 pm

Fefo wrote:I'm not into the main subject, but about AM2R: DoctorM64 put several updates, betas and stuff along the years. He put a a 1 month timer, to end on Metroid's birthday, which people always talked about every time Federation Force came about. He launched it, to much praise, and only then got C&D'ed.

Maybe the launch noise made the Ncops hear about it, but I still think they played dumb for as long as they could and only acted to wash their hands. Anyway, I still got the game.

Closer to the main discussion: I would love to see a complete crackdown on piracy, just to laugh when companies start to mull about the decreased exposition.
I'm not surprised that Nintendo heard about AM2R, as well as Pokemon Uranium and Pokemon Prism, which were all taken down last year. All three were featured in the mainstream media (IGN, Kotaku, etc.), and as a result weren't hard to find. The game publishing site GameJolt, which was also raided by Nintendo last year, must have been a known source of "illegal" Nintendo fangames.

I don't think there'll ever be a complete crackdown on piracy, although they've taken down multiple sources in the past. I remember about 3 years ago, they took down all the Nintendo-related ROMs from a popular ROM site that I personally used (which shall remain nameless due to the policy on mentioning or providing links to ROM sites here). In addition, they just recently took down ROMhacking.net (which I will mention due to it now being defunct). There'll never be a complete crackdown on piracy, because... well, why don't I let Ian Malcolm from Jurassic Park say it?

On an unrelated note, Fefo, please do send me a copy of AM2R if you can. I can PM you my E-mail address if you like, so you can share it with me on Google Drive. If you want, I have a copy of Pokemon Prism that you can have in return.
Last edited by ericbazinga on Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

You can also find me on Reddit (u/Ericbazinga) and Discord (in the DraStic Discord server). You'll find me in those places almost daily and here almost never.

Fefo

Post by Fefo » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:40 pm

Doubt that RH was taken down by Nintendo, too random and a funny message would be misplaced. We'll know later.

It's too late to upload anything or search a legit link, but if you know torrent-fu the magnet is 31059585E68123D095871D3169899CD900B77213, for the original 1.0 version. On AM2R forums you can find good info.
BE ATTITUDE FOR ENGRISH

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:10 pm

AD*please use a VPN as apparently the great United States of Karuta asks ISP's to snoopdawg torrents*AD

doncha love 3rd world countries that shit on the US policy of invading privacy of consumers by making ISP's track you?

**gets the magnet torrent** ARRR!!!

@Eric, I would just say it that saying Empire did this or that coz it's 'illegal' when it technically is, is basically hypocritical. you can defend it as 'free advertising' or 'ultimate form of flattery' but the fact remains that we do have laws. Think of it as just implementing it way stricter than normal but still legal (like photocopying a part of a manuscript, the publishing house might let you get away with it but mass produce it without consent and you better get a good lawyer regardless if you profit or not).
Behold my mighty

ericbazinga

Post by ericbazinga » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:44 am

Fefo wrote:Doubt that RH was taken down by Nintendo, too random and a funny message would be misplaced. We'll know later.

It's too late to upload anything or search a legit link, but if you know torrent-fu the magnet is 31059585E68123D095871D3169899CD900B77213, for the original 1.0 version. On AM2R forums you can find good info.
...Yeah, I'm not going anywhere near a torrent. For all I know, it's riddled with malware. I appreciate the help, though.

Also, I remember that I had read that it was Nintendo who shut down ROMhacking.net. It was an article from Twinfinite that I stumbled upon while checking Nintendo-related news. Here's the link, although all you'll get is a 404- http://twinfinite.net/2017/03/nintendo- ... -12-years/ The link should be proof enough that the article existed at one point. It may have been deleted, either by Nintendo or the article was incorrect. It was also the only article I found mentioning ROMhacking.net's takedown. I even went on ROMhacking.net to see if it was still online, and all there was was a single line of text reading, "The patient is alive, however RHDN will remain in the ICU for awhile and cannot accept any visitors." So it's dead, for now.
There isn't enough evidence here, that's for sure. ROMhacking.net IS closed, but there's no solid proof that it was Nintendo who did it. For all we know, the article was fake news. (I doubt it was fake, because I don't recall Twinfinite being a fake news site, but it's still a possibility.)

You can also find me on Reddit (u/Ericbazinga) and Discord (in the DraStic Discord server). You'll find me in those places almost daily and here almost never.

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:20 am

yo, just did a bit of digging and found this

https://twitter.com/CuttingRoomWiki/sta ... 8815890433

so... the story of N busting the site...

Behold my mighty

Fefo

Post by Fefo » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:01 am

Uh, you realize that P2P (in torrents) is just a form of distribution, right? Linux distros, Blizzard content, legit stuff. Most of the times there's a hash for integrity check too.

Anyway, here's the forum link if you're into classic downloads: http://am2r.freeforums.org/am2r-full-re ... t1599.html . PM your email and I'll send you both version when I can manage.
BE ATTITUDE FOR ENGRISH