Nintendo Switch

Post whatever!
huckleberrypie
Nintendo Switch

Post by huckleberrypie » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:44 pm

Has any of one of you guys got their hands on one of them? I feel that for the price, it's a bit of a hard sell considering how cheapo tablets can be had for cheap, but still it shows some promise. I just hope that this won't be Nintendo's swan song in the same vein as how the Dreamcast spelled the end for Sega's consumer hardware business.

On the aspect of emulation, do you guys think that this would be an arse to emulate, or would it be easier than expected given how there has been some progress with RPCS3? Sure, Nvidia GPUs/SOCs are ridiculously complex which partly accounts for why emulation for the original Xbox still hasn't matured much lately, but what do you guys think?

ericbazinga

Re: Nintendo Switch

Post by ericbazinga » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:30 pm

I would have bought one, but $300 is a lot. And I don't usually have much spending money. I definitely want to try it out though, as I'm a sucker for stuff that's interchangeable like that. Just the fact that you can use it in a variety of ways intrigues me.

On the topic of Switch emulation, performance-wise the Switch is basically a portable Wii U with a few minor upgrades. And seeing as how Cemu (a Wii U emulator) can already run games accurately enough and at 60fps, it wouldn't take much to convert Cemu to run Switch games as well as Wii U games (like what they did with the Dolphin emulator to have it run Wii games in addition to GameCube games).

You can also find me on Reddit (u/Ericbazinga) and Discord (in the DraStic Discord server). You'll find me in those places almost daily and here almost never.

Fefo

Post by Fefo » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:44 pm

Switch will probably follow the same pattern of 3DS: Nintendoomed for a year or so, then titles drop and it becomes the best console ever. Nintendo can fumble around for as long as they want, drop Pokémon Re: DP and roll on money. Personally I hope that someday I can buy it for some sensible amount of money where I live (unlikely) and that devs break it open to make it an excellent portable gaming device.

Emulation will happen, as it happened with (nearly?) all Nintendo consoles. The only reasons to expect anything in less than 5 years is hardware choice and power, I think. The Wii was always considered a souped-up GameCube, and I would be surprised to hear about any similarity between the Wii U and the NX.
BE ATTITUDE FOR ENGRISH

TkSilver

Post by TkSilver » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:03 am

So... much like the WiiU I own and the PS4/Xbone I will probably own in the future I will wait until someone grows bored of theirs and buy it half off or more. I got my PS3 for $75 or so with 15 games. I do think it is uncharitable to compare it to a tablet but if you must
Nvidia Shield (the closest in specs to the Switch) $200
Joycon pair $80 (not sure if high markup but the tech inside seems interesting)
Dock set $90 (I would say definitely overpriced but a USB type c dock with charging usb ports and display out can be anywhere from $25-$100+ so....)

Given all of this I would say it is probably priced correctly.

As far as emulation goes I would say that the 3ds and DS emulation would give a clue as to the difficulties in emulating ARM CPUs more so then the RCPS3. The GPU will probably come down to how the Maxwell Architecture is used. Consoles use some very very specific and fast tricks to make lower powered hardware run faster then non optimized faster hardware.

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:57 am

one tablets are not goddamn consoles
two its a fricken nintendo console

dont cross the lines even if it goes grey!
Behold my mighty

huckleberrypie

Post by huckleberrypie » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:37 am

Well it's in the form of a tablet even though it isn't marketed as such. But it's like the video game crash of '83 when personal computers are more sought after since they can do more than a dedicated console.

And comparing the Wii U and NX on an architectural standpoint seemed like apples and oranges to me. They may be similar in some ways, but PowerPC and AMD graphics doesn't look that similar to ARM and Maxwell. Maybe some HLE and info gathered from the nouveau project might help with Switch emulation, but that is easier said than done. Perhaps exo himself might lend his two cents on this.

Fefo

Post by Fefo » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:43 am

Oof, forgot about used/old. Nothing better than grabbing a old gen console and all it's good stuff with pocket money.
BE ATTITUDE FOR ENGRISH

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:55 pm

and then having it die on you coz, hey secondhand!

I am actually a fan of buying it cheaper from another but yeah, some folks here (this country) will pass off their dying stuff as well taken cared off just to get a few peso more.

and saying pocket money... first world problems i guess...
Behold my mighty

ericbazinga

Post by ericbazinga » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:02 am

Fefo wrote:Oof, forgot about used/old. Nothing better than grabbing a old gen console and all it's good stuff with pocket money.
Agreed.
Reminds me of when I bought an Xbox 360 from my local Game Over Videogames (used games store, I freaking love it there). I only had enough for the console itself (I sprung for a Slim model, which despite being $10-20 more than the original model, is smaller, has built in Wi-Fi, and no worries of Red Rings of Death) and one game (Halo), totalling at about $90, but it was totally worth it.
I still need to get Internet working on it, though. I've tried wired and wireless connections, my Xbox just won't play nice with my router.

You can also find me on Reddit (u/Ericbazinga) and Discord (in the DraStic Discord server). You'll find me in those places almost daily and here almost never.

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:28 am

just letting huck know that SM Toy Kingdom sells the switch for 26500 php (about 500USD).
Behold my mighty