Theory regarding multiplayer

Post whatever!
ericbazinga
Theory regarding multiplayer

Post by ericbazinga » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:25 am

I was thinking about multiplayer functionality in DraStic, and about how Exophase said that the way the DS does multiplayer is complicated and undocumented?
Well, would DraStic have to play multiplayer just like real hardware? Or could we do something different?

I dunno, just some random thought that I came up with. Probably just a useless question, I haven't done any coding in a while.

You can also find me on Reddit (u/Ericbazinga) and Discord (in the DraStic Discord server). You'll find me in those places almost daily and here almost never.

Fefo

Re: Theory regarding multiplayer

Post by Fefo » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:14 am

This is more of an accuracy question. An emulator doesn't need to do the exact same stuff that the real hardware do to play a game. However, you still need to do a level of basic stuff right to get anywhere.

Emulators like DraStic, DeSmuME and No$GBA, along many others, skip several steps in order to play a game; this is done either because of lack of knowledge or for speed. But certain core "features" (say, synchrony between processors AFAIK) are fundamental and exist across all of them, on whatever implemetation each use. It seems (I'm just a lurker) that so far there's not enough info on this basic stuff to make anything, and I only remember something on that subject from StableButter and nocash.

In resume, when/if multiplayer happens it probably won't match the real stuff but it will work to a point.
BE ATTITUDE FOR ENGRISH

TkSilver

Re: Theory regarding multiplayer

Post by TkSilver » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:07 pm

Unless you are planning to rewrite the games themselves, the emulator has to (at the very least) take the output from game 1 and give the appropriate input to game 2.