DS ROM Dumper?

Post whatever!
ericbazinga
DS ROM Dumper?

Post by ericbazinga » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:17 pm

Whenever I get a new retro game, I go to a ROM site to download a backup. Why do I do this? Because I don't own a ROM dumper. This year, I figured why not and decided to look for dumpers. I found an amazing little device called the Retrode (http://www.retrode.org/about/) that covers most of my systems, but it doesn't support the majority of my collection, which is my DS games.
I recall some people saying they owned some, and I would like them to tell me where to get them. Thanks in advance.

You can also find me on Reddit (u/Ericbazinga) and Discord (in the DraStic Discord server). You'll find me in those places almost daily and here almost never.

TkSilver

Re: DS ROM Dumper?

Post by TkSilver » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:06 am

If you want something that is essentially like the retrode then for ds you want something like this to make a backup

Neo SMS4

The personal device I use is this though: Ez flash 3 in 1

basically there are 3 ways I know about and honestly I am not sure how dsi carts get dumped since my tool and most I know about don't work with them... but any ways here are the 3 ways

1. using a slot 1 flash card and wifi. This way is the oldest method I know about and it just involves using a compatible ds flash cart ( a primary reason you back up your games, so you can carry more then one with you at a time) and a compatabile wifi on your computer (a massive pain to set up if you can get one that can connect to the ds). The main issue besides needing a compatible wifi set up is that this method is slow..... very slow......very very very slow..... like overnight if your lucky slow.
Equipment needed: slot 1 flash cart, certain wifi adapters, luck, and a computer you don't mind running for 4-8 or more hours.

2. Using a slot2 cart with a slot 1 cart. What I use. Main issue is neding a DS or a DS light for it to work as you really have to have a slot 2. Bonus the slot2 cart can play your gba backups and you can hold a ton on a cart. Basically the slot one flash cart runs a program like in wifi but when you put in the game you want to back up it is coppied to the slot 2 cart instead of over wifi. Then you put back in the slot 1 cart and it coppies over to that.
Equipment needed: slot 1 flash cart, slot 2 flash cart, and a specific type of DS depending on your slot 2 cart's compatibility.

3. Specialized device. Works by having the device directly read the cart. No DS needed. Usually uses drivers that are unsigned (windows will hate you if you can even install them, security risk???), on that topic I do not think most work with linux or mac....but unsure of this. Easiest to use just slot in and copy. Potentially the fastest method unless your computer sucks.

Gbatemp is a nice resource for info related to the gba/ds/and 3ds.

Also just because thisnis one reason I like the PSP. To dump a psp disk all you need is a psp and a memory card (well a crappy proprietary Sony memory card, but heck you need one anyways for the system) that is big enough to hold the file. Also when I was big into psp hacking you also needed to so some tricks with the battery and memory cards to get the custom firmware on the system, Now a days kids have it simple with lcfw (light custom firmware) nothing needs to be flashed or permanently changed anymore.

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:23 am

well, you can always substitute the crappy sony magic card with an equally crappy adapter with a not so much crappy microsd... or get a sandisk for >:D
Behold my mighty

TkSilver

Post by TkSilver » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:50 am

It's more the fact that I now have 6 memory stick pro duo cards laying around and the only things they work in are my psp 1000 and psp 2000, my psp go won't accept them and a vita would not either. The whole thing would have been better if sony just used the sd format since it was already the defacto standard even then.

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:37 am

TkSilver wrote:It's more the fact that I now have 6 memory stick pro duo cards laying around and the only things they work in are my psp 1000 and psp 2000, my psp go won't accept them and a vita would not either. The whole thing would have been better if sony just used the sd format since it was already the defacto standard even then.
but sony being sony, whats better for you doesnt mean squat to them. you want sony? then they will goddamn will milk your soul (and every last penny) dry.
Behold my mighty

ericbazinga

Post by ericbazinga » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:04 am

TkSilver wrote:If you want something that is essentially like the retrode then for ds you want something like this to make a backup

Neo SMS4

The personal device I use is this though: Ez flash 3 in 1

basically there are 3 ways I know about and honestly I am not sure how dsi carts get dumped since my tool and most I know about don't work with them... but any ways here are the 3 ways

1. using a slot 1 flash card and wifi. This way is the oldest method I know about and it just involves using a compatible ds flash cart ( a primary reason you back up your games, so you can carry more then one with you at a time) and a compatabile wifi on your computer (a massive pain to set up if you can get one that can connect to the ds). The main issue besides needing a compatible wifi set up is that this method is slow..... very slow......very very very slow..... like overnight if your lucky slow.
Equipment needed: slot 1 flash cart, certain wifi adapters, luck, and a computer you don't mind running for 4-8 or more hours.

2. Using a slot2 cart with a slot 1 cart. What I use. Main issue is neding a DS or a DS light for it to work as you really have to have a slot 2. Bonus the slot2 cart can play your gba backups and you can hold a ton on a cart. Basically the slot one flash cart runs a program like in wifi but when you put in the game you want to back up it is coppied to the slot 2 cart instead of over wifi. Then you put back in the slot 1 cart and it coppies over to that.
Equipment needed: slot 1 flash cart, slot 2 flash cart, and a specific type of DS depending on your slot 2 cart's compatibility.

3. Specialized device. Works by having the device directly read the cart. No DS needed. Usually uses drivers that are unsigned (windows will hate you if you can even install them, security risk???), on that topic I do not think most work with linux or mac....but unsure of this. Easiest to use just slot in and copy. Potentially the fastest method unless your computer sucks.

Gbatemp is a nice resource for info related to the gba/ds/and 3ds.

Also just because thisnis one reason I like the PSP. To dump a psp disk all you need is a psp and a memory card (well a crappy proprietary Sony memory card, but heck you need one anyways for the system) that is big enough to hold the file. Also when I was big into psp hacking you also needed to so some tricks with the battery and memory cards to get the custom firmware on the system, Now a days kids have it simple with lcfw (light custom firmware) nothing needs to be flashed or permanently changed anymore.
The SMS 4 sounds perfect for me, I can't get the EZ Flash because I don't own an original DS (3DS can play those games too, so I gave the DS away), but it does seem like a cool product. Also I don't own a flash cart, so I can't use the WiFi method or Slot 2 method.

I couldn't find any reviews though...

You can also find me on Reddit (u/Ericbazinga) and Discord (in the DraStic Discord server). You'll find me in those places almost daily and here almost never.

kaikun97

Post by kaikun97 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:57 am

Jay Haru wrote:
TkSilver wrote:It's more the fact that I now have 6 memory stick pro duo cards laying around and the only things they work in are my psp 1000 and psp 2000, my psp go won't accept them and a vita would not either. The whole thing would have been better if sony just used the sd format since it was already the defacto standard even then.
but sony being sony, whats better for you doesnt mean squat to them. you want sony? then they will goddamn will milk your soul (and every last penny) dry.
At least their business model doesnt place them forever in the 90's like Nintendo's does xD

huckleberrypie

Post by huckleberrypie » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:14 am

I.e. deliberately watered-down hardware, reliance on core IPs and their loyal fanbase (whom I somewhat compare their loyalty to either Apple fans or Harley riders).

kaikun97

Post by kaikun97 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:23 am

huckleberrypie wrote:I.e. deliberately watered-down hardware, reliance on core IPs and their loyal fanbase (whom I somewhat compare their loyalty to either Apple fans or Harley riders).
I serverly hate how they do a lot of things. Also their push on region locking is stupid. In the end their actions are going to come back round to them in a bad way if they dont sort out their crap.

ericbazinga

Post by ericbazinga » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:43 pm

kaikun97 wrote:
huckleberrypie wrote:I.e. deliberately watered-down hardware, reliance on core IPs and their loyal fanbase (whom I somewhat compare their loyalty to either Apple fans or Harley riders).
I serverly hate how they do a lot of things. Also their push on region locking is stupid. In the end their actions are going to come back round to them in a bad way if they dont sort out their crap.
I think we can all agree Sony sucks.