Google Cardboard

Post whatever!
Bmh715
Google Cardboard

Post by Bmh715 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:25 pm

I would love to see the option to make it playable on Google Cardboard I feel as it should be simple for the development team to do as it is just split screen with two same video. I would honestly buy this app all over again for the option.

Jay Haru

Re: Google Cardboard

Post by Jay Haru » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:23 pm

Bmh715 wrote:I would love to see the option to make it playable on Google Cardboard I feel as it should be simple for the development team to do as it is just split screen with two same video. I would honestly buy this app all over again for the option.
this has already been discussed and the answer to that is that its not that simple as you think. doing things 3d would double EVERYTHING as it has to emulate the game twice.
Behold my mighty

ericbazinga

Post by ericbazinga » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:50 pm

Jay Haru wrote:this has already been discussed
It was my idea the first time LOL :lol:
Jay Haru wrote:the answer to that is that its not that simple as you think. doing things 3d would double EVERYTHING as it has to emulate the game twice.
This subject being discussed again does bring a new idea on how it could work to mind: the Dolphin emulator has a feature where you can play your games in 3D using the Oculus Rift. In order to get that to work, they replace the virtual camera that displays everything (kind of like a camera angle in a movie) with two, one for the left eye and one for the right eye. Using those two cameras, they were able to create the 3D effect. Maybe we could implement something like that into DraStic?

You can also find me on Reddit (u/Ericbazinga) and Discord (in the DraStic Discord server). You'll find me in those places almost daily and here almost never.

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:46 pm

ericbazinga wrote:
Jay Haru wrote:this has already been discussed
It was my idea the first time LOL :lol:
Jay Haru wrote:the answer to that is that its not that simple as you think. doing things 3d would double EVERYTHING as it has to emulate the game twice.
This subject being discussed again does bring a new idea on how it could work to mind: the Dolphin emulator has a feature where you can play your games in 3D using the Oculus Rift. In order to get that to work, they replace the virtual camera that displays everything (kind of like a camera angle in a movie) with two, one for the left eye and one for the right eye. Using those two cameras, they were able to create the 3D effect. Maybe we could implement something like that into DraStic?
the rift can do that coz it has the hardware to do so.how can you convert that into software onto a phone and THEN run an emu on top of it is something i cant imagine
Behold my mighty

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:55 pm

It wouldn't double emulation for everything, but the geometry, 3D rendering, and part of the 2D compositing would have to be done twice, and that tends to be a very big chunk of emulation time (much bigger if hires rendering is enabled)

It's one of those things I might investigate if I end up getting anywhere with OpenGL ES 3.x rendering.

Bmh715

Post by Bmh715 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:09 am

Also ppsspp for android has the option and is way more powerful of an apk I know it can be done I just can't wait for when.

ericbazinga

Post by ericbazinga » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:38 pm

Bmh715 wrote:Also ppsspp for android has the option and is way more powerful of an apk I know it can be done I just can't wait for when.
Does anyone know how PPSSPP's 3D works? I searched the web but couldn't find anything.

You can also find me on Reddit (u/Ericbazinga) and Discord (in the DraStic Discord server). You'll find me in those places almost daily and here almost never.

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:22 am

Bmh715 wrote:Also ppsspp for android has the option and is way more powerful of an apk I know it can be done I just can't wait for when.
unless there is proof, i would not compare them on which are more powerful, complex, etc. be reminded that ds emulation required a much better pc processor than ppsspp and we can only enjoy it on android thanks to exo's code optimization. proof is the myriad of ds4droid emus that suck even on flagship devices.
Behold my mighty

ericbazinga

Post by ericbazinga » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:52 am

Jay Haru wrote:
unless there is proof, i would not compare them on which are more powerful, complex, etc. be reminded that ds emulation required a much better pc processor than ppsspp and we can only enjoy it on android thanks to exo's code optimization. proof is the myriad of ds4droid emus that suck even on flagship devices.
I can vouch for PPSSPP's 3D working, I saw many YouTube videos showing the effect while searching.

xperia64

Post by xperia64 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:56 am

I can also assure you that ppsspp's 3d effect works because I figured out how to stare at the screen crosseyed enough for it to appear.