Nintendo's use of underpowered hardware

Post whatever!
huckleberrypie
Nintendo's use of underpowered hardware

Post by huckleberrypie » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:24 pm

Is anyone else here jaded or just plain irked with Nintendo nerfing on their hardware in comparison to the competition? I mean, it did work for them at times, like with the Game Boy selling better than their colour/backlit rivals simply because of battery life, but we all know what happened with the N64's carts or the Wii being severely underpowered.

Fefo

Re: Nintendo's use of underpowered hardware

Post by Fefo » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:03 pm

Brand wars bore me. My only concern with Nintendo is if they abandon videogames. They are THE game company, exclusively, and this means a lot industry-wise on my eyes.

That said, Wii is heralded as a financial success, if anything, and the 3DS is considered a winner by far over is competitor, Vita. To me at least, hardware doesn't matter and betting on specs will eventually led to a lost battle. It's hard to speak when you are only in for the games and is clearly out of the target audience.
BE ATTITUDE FOR ENGRISH

ericbazinga

Post by ericbazinga » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:35 am

huckleberrypie wrote:Is anyone else here jaded or just plain irked with Nintendo nerfing on their hardware in comparison to the competition? I mean, it did work for them at times, like with the Game Boy selling better than their colour/backlit rivals simply because of battery life, but we all know what happened with the N64's carts or the Wii being severely underpowered.
Well, Nintendo is usually the first to release a next-gen console, so maybe they underestimate their compeditors, who then make consoles with better specs. Maybe they should wait for Sony or Microsoft to go first next time.
At least Nintendo makes up for their console-spec blunders. With the N64, they had a ton of really good games, like Mario 64 and Zelda OOT. And with the Wii, their motion controls were popular among gamers and non-gamers alike, leading to that thing selling like freaking hotcakes.

You can also find me on Reddit (u/Ericbazinga) and Discord (in the DraStic Discord server). You'll find me in those places almost daily and here almost never.

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:49 am

huckleberrypie wrote:Is anyone else here jaded or just plain irked with Nintendo nerfing on their hardware in comparison to the competition? I mean, it did work for them at times, like with the Game Boy selling better than their colour/backlit rivals simply because of battery life, but we all know what happened with the N64's carts or the Wii being severely underpowered.
personally, id rather that we get better games than eye candy. sure the visuals are great (esp for those hardcore stuff and by hardcore i mean like.... errr.... stuff) but a great story and great gameplay would be top of the line.
i have a psp but honestly i am more into playing drastic even if the visuals are crapolla. why? because it has a lot of games better than psp and some psp games NEVER made it here (damn you ff agito and suikoden)
Behold my mighty