Ubuntu Installation

Post whatever!
ericbazinga
Ubuntu Installation

Post by ericbazinga » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:42 pm

So my nerd project this week was turning an old flash drive into a USB boot drive running Linux.
I installed Ubuntu on my flash drive using some installer tool I found online, and restarted my computer so it would run off the drive.
I was prompted with a list of options, including 'install Ubuntu'. I chose 'try Ubuntu without installing', because I wasn't sure what 'install Ubuntu' meant exactly. Does Ubuntu install onto the flash drive? Or the computer?
I'm pretty sure at least one user here has used Ubuntu, so could someone help clarify please?

You can also find me on Reddit (u/Ericbazinga) and Discord (in the DraStic Discord server). You'll find me in those places almost daily and here almost never.

kaikun97

Re: Ubuntu Installation

Post by kaikun97 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:03 am

ericbazinga wrote:So my nerd project this week was turning an old flash drive into a USB boot drive running Linux.
I installed Ubuntu on my flash drive using some installer tool I found online, and restarted my computer so it would run off the drive.
I was prompted with a list of options, including 'install Ubuntu'. I chose 'try Ubuntu without installing', because I wasn't sure what 'install Ubuntu' meant exactly. Does Ubuntu install onto the flash drive? Or the computer?
I'm pretty sure at least one user here has used Ubuntu, so could someone help clarify please?
I'm an Ubuntu user. And no Ubuntu will install to the hard drive. If you don't want to erase windows and it's files then I suggest you find a guide on how to dual-boot Ubuntu. TRy without installing runs it off the drive so you can test it works fine. In that mode there should also be a link on the desktop for the installer anyway

TkSilver

Post by TkSilver » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:50 am

You might want to try porteus linux. You can ,ake a flash drice that will load the whole os into ram run from ram and only at the end of your session save back to the flashdrive (saving you wear and tear on the limited write cycle of solid state media)

ericbazinga

Post by ericbazinga » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:37 pm

kaikun97 wrote:
ericbazinga wrote:So my nerd project this week was turning an old flash drive into a USB boot drive running Linux.
I'm an Ubuntu user. And no Ubuntu will install to the hard drive. If you don't want to erase windows and it's files then I suggest you find a guide on how to dual-boot Ubuntu. TRy without installing runs it off the drive so you can test it works fine. In that mode there should also be a link on the desktop for the installer anyway
I don't want to install Ubuntu onto any computer, I want to install it onto the drive so I can just run Ubuntu without installing anything on the computer.

You can also find me on Reddit (u/Ericbazinga) and Discord (in the DraStic Discord server). You'll find me in those places almost daily and here almost never.

ericbazinga

Post by ericbazinga » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:11 pm

TkSilver wrote:You might want to try porteus linux. You can ,ake a flash drice that will load the whole os into ram run from ram and only at the end of your session save back to the flashdrive (saving you wear and tear on the limited write cycle of solid state media)
Porteus Linux sounds like a better idea for an OS than Ubuntu. I think i'll delete Ubuntu and install that instead.

ericbazinga

Post by ericbazinga » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:29 pm

ericbazinga wrote:
TkSilver wrote:You might want to try porteus linux. You can ,ake a flash drice that will load the whole os into ram run from ram and only at the end of your session save back to the flashdrive (saving you wear and tear on the limited write cycle of solid state media)
Porteus Linux sounds like a better idea for an OS than Ubuntu. I think i'll delete Ubuntu and install that instead.
Ok so I downloaded Porteus and installed it on my flash drive. The only problem is, when I try to boot from the flash drive, my computer says nothing's there. I've triple-checked Porteus's Installation page to see if I messed up, and installed Porteus twice, but it won't work. please help me TkSilver

TkSilver

Post by TkSilver » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:05 pm

So you tried the instructions on this page
windows porteus installer

Just so you know I personally made a live cd first and used porteus itself to make the usb running from the live cd.

ericbazinga

Post by ericbazinga » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:09 am

TkSilver wrote:So you tried the instructions on this page

Just so you know I personally made a live cd first and used porteus itself to make the usb running from the live cd.
Not that page, i'll definitely try that method.

ericbazinga

Post by ericbazinga » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:44 pm

ericbazinga wrote:
TkSilver wrote:So you tried the instructions on this page

Not that page, i'll definitely try that method.
Thank you TkSilver! Porteus runs great, i'm really impressed.
(for fun, I typed this message in Porteus :P)

ericbazinga

Post by ericbazinga » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:18 pm

Hey TkSilver, i'm having a problem in Porteus.
Whenever I try to load a file from my non-Linux flash drive or access system settings or anything like that, this window pops up, and it says that what i'm trying to do requires root privileges, and that it wants me to put in a password.
I don't know what the password is, and I couldn't find anything about it in the FAQ, so here I am asking you.
Any ideas?
Attachments
nimbus-image-1441725183248.png
nimbus-image-1441725183248.png (229.08KiB)Viewed 14950 times