Ubuntu Installation

Post whatever!
Exophase
Re: Ubuntu Installation

Post by Exophase » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:42 am

kaikun97 wrote:Doesnt mint use Cinnamon? In my experience Cinnamon is far heavier than unity, running my games is a slow slower on it. From my experience XFCE and MATE are best but MATE seems to mess up pulseaudio for me
Mint uses Cinnamon or MATE, both are fully supported and you can select the one you want at install time.

Haven't had problems with Pulseaudio, weird that MATE would even affect that.

kaikun97

Post by kaikun97 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:56 am

Exophase wrote:
kaikun97 wrote:Doesnt mint use Cinnamon? In my experience Cinnamon is far heavier than unity, running my games is a slow slower on it. From my experience XFCE and MATE are best but MATE seems to mess up pulseaudio for me
Mint uses Cinnamon or MATE, both are fully supported and you can select the one you want at install time.

Haven't had problems with Pulseaudio, weird that MATE would even affect that.
Installing MATE 1.8 from the official MATE dev repo (latest version for ububtu) seems to install some librender packages with it that mess up sample rates when recording monitors or using a screen recording which pulseaudio doesnt like and produces low pitched sound.

ericbazinga

Post by ericbazinga » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:08 pm

I recently updated my USB boot drive's OS to Ubuntu due to lack of emulators for Porteus Linux (the previous OS I was using). Basically I'm going to be using the 'Run Ubuntu Without Installing' option to use Ubuntu on pretty much any computer I come across.
I installed Ubuntu on the flash drive, and it's working fine, but I can't install any programs from the Ubuntu Software Center.
Could someone help please?

You can also find me on Reddit (u/Ericbazinga) and Discord (in the DraStic Discord server). You'll find me in those places almost daily and here almost never.

TkSilver

Post by TkSilver » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:30 pm

You can not use the ubuntu instructions to make your flash drive. That way only makes a live cd version/installation type. Mainly it is used to make sure ubuntu will wprk woth the machine so you can install ubuntu to that machine. It has no persistence.

Use the pendrive linux universal usb creator to make your flash drive
instructions

what persistent linux is

The other option is to literally "install" ubuntu onto a flash drive. This would involve using a cd or a second flashdrive and selecting the install ubuntu option, but instead of choosing a hard drive pick the flash drive (not the one runing the installer off of if using 2 flash drives). This would boot not a "live cd" version but the os like it was installed on the hard drive.