OTG Support for my phone?

Post whatever!
ericbazinga
OTG Support for my phone?

Post by ericbazinga » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:35 pm

So I just bought a new flash drive (a Patriot Cosmos Lite), which has a micro USB connector for Android devices. The only problem is, apparently my Android phone (an LG Optimus I got from T-Mobile) does not support this drive, as it lacks some feature called USB OTG (or USB On-The-Go).
Is there some app that adds OTG, or did I get the wrong flashdrive/phone?
Please help, as the Android connector was LITERALLY the ONLY reason I bought this drive.

(Also, it took 20 minutes to buy it because some idiot at Fry's Electronics put the $25 flash drive under an $8 price tag. Eventually, I got the flash drive for $8. Just thought that was worth mentioning.)

You can also find me on Reddit (u/Ericbazinga) and Discord (in the DraStic Discord server). You'll find me in those places almost daily and here almost never.

TkSilver

Re: OTG Support for my p hone?

Post by TkSilver » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:53 am

USB OTG is a hardware feature not a software issue normally. Some phones have usb otg support but it is locked for one dumb reason or annother. Unfortunatly there are many many lg phones called in part optimus so I am not sure exactly which one you have to check.

But the short and simple is if your phone has the ability to support usb otg but it is locked then you might be able to fix it with some root apps. If your phone does not support usb otg then no, it will never be able to do it.

ericbazinga

Re: OTG Support for my p hone?

Post by ericbazinga » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:07 am

[quote="TkSilver"]USB OTG is a hardware feature not a software issue normally. Some phones have usb otg support but it is locked for one dumb reason or annother. Unfortunatly there are many many lg phones called in part optimus so I am not sure exactly which one you have to check.

But the short and simple is if your phone has the ability to support usb otg but it is locked then you might be able to fix it with some root apps. If your phone does not support usb otg then no, it will never be able to do it.[/quote]
It's an LG-D500 model.

You can also find me on Reddit (u/Ericbazinga) and Discord (in the DraStic Discord server). You'll find me in those places almost daily and here almost never.

TkSilver

Re: OTG Support for my phone?

Post by TkSilver » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:47 pm

The lg d500 or lg optimus F6 (there seriously are a ton of lg phones named optimus) does not have hardware support for usb otg so there is no way to get that drive to work with that phone.

Fefo

Post by Fefo » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:23 pm

Looks like your device has the same problem found on my Nexus 4, dumb design choices. Thanks LG.

I don't know if it's default kernel supports OTG (on my case it doesn't), but once you find one that has this feature, you'll need a OTG Y cable and an external battery pack. Plug everything on it's end and the battery shall provide energy for whatever you need: hard drives, controllers, keyboards, etc.
BE ATTITUDE FOR ENGRISH

TkSilver

Post by TkSilver » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:33 am

Fefo wrote:Looks like your device has the same problem found on my Nexus 4, dumb design choices. Thanks LG.

I don't know if it's default kernel supports OTG (on my case it doesn't), but once you find one that has this feature, you'll need a OTG Y cable and an external battery pack. Plug everything on it's end and the battery shall provide energy for whatever you need: hard drives, controllers, keyboards, etc.
If your device supports usbotg you don't need a y cable the otg port can provide usb power itself. I have used controllers, usb flashdrives, keyboards, and a few other usb devices with my otg port.

Fefo

Post by Fefo » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:16 am

But my, and probably his, device DOESN't support OTG due to lack of sufficient energy being provided by the port. This is a workaround.
BE ATTITUDE FOR ENGRISH

ericbazinga

Post by ericbazinga » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:52 pm

Fefo wrote:But my, and probably his, device DOESN't support OTG due to lack of sufficient energy being provided by the port. This is a workaround.
So the workaround is to buy an OTG cable with a separate power source?

Fefo

Post by Fefo » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:08 pm

If I'm right, yes. Searching for "nexus 4 otg" and "lg-d500 otg" lead to similar results, and both are from LG, so I'm not crazy. There's still the kernel thingy, and looks like this might work: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1051282

Be careful, you will be toying with sensible aspects of Android, and your device. Maybe it isn't worth the trouble.
BE ATTITUDE FOR ENGRISH

TkSilver

Post by TkSilver » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:25 pm

This is an excellent program by the developer chainfire
usb host diagnostics

This will tell you if you can use use usb otg or not and if you can't if it is because of software that can be "fixed".

Btw Fero the only lg d500 results I find are 2 amazon cables with 0 reviews claiming to work with the d500, and a xda thread for the p500 a different phone. The thread you linked is to that p500 thread too. An optimus one and a optimus f6 are very different phones.