Drastic linux of retroarch core

Post whatever!
eguibs
Drastic linux of retroarch core

Post by eguibs » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:15 pm

hi exophase first i whant to say i'm followyour work since your gba emu on PSP you always did an exellent job but i have one question

i own a raspberry pi with a linux distrib your emu, optimised on arm harware would fit perfectly the RP2 do you have any plan of developp a linux version or retroarch core maybe ? thanks by the way !

Exophase

Re: Drastic linux of retroarch core

Post by Exophase » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:15 pm

Lordus has done some tests on his RPi 2 (and Odroid C1 for that matter), so releasing a port is at least plausible, although I don't know if it's a totally flawless experience (I think the synchronization isn't so good right now) I'd have to see how Lordus feels about it as well, but it's kind of tricky since it raises the question of why we're releasing it for free on RPi and not Android. With the Pandora port I'm confident in my answer for that, with RPi 2 I'd be a lot less confident. And while it's possible to charge money on RPi's store that doesn't sound like a very good idea.

I guess another way to put it is I'd be in support of releasing it if A) it doesn't take away a huge number of Android users and B) it doesn't generate resentment/animosity from Android users. I have a pretty decent feeling that both would be true but it's hard to really know. I'll try to get a better idea of this or at least think about it some more.

A RetroArch core is almost certainly out of the question though, I can't see them linking to something closed source and I'm not going to open it, at least not any time particularly soon.

ericbazinga

Post by ericbazinga » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:09 am

Exophase wrote:Lordus has done some tests on his RPi 2 (and Odroid C1 for that matter), so releasing a port is at least plausible, although I don't know if it's a totally flawless experience (I think the synchronization isn't so good right now) I'd have to see how Lordus feels about it as well, but it's kind of tricky since it raises the question of why we're releasing it for free on RPi and not Android. With the Pandora port I'm confident in my answer for that, with RPi 2 I'd be a lot less confident. And while it's possible to charge money on RPi's store that doesn't sound like a very good idea.

I guess another way to put it is I'd be in support of releasing it if A) it doesn't take away a huge number of Android users and B) it doesn't generate resentment/animosity from Android users. I have a pretty decent feeling that both would be true but it's hard to really know. I'll try to get a better idea of this or at least think about it some more.

A RetroArch core is almost certainly out of the question though, I can't see them linking to something closed source and I'm not going to open it, at least not any time particularly soon.
Exophase has made a Linux version of DraStic, but he's never given it out to anyone. I'm pretty sure DS emulation would suck on a Raspberry Pi anyway :?

You can also find me on Reddit (u/Ericbazinga) and Discord (in the DraStic Discord server). You'll find me in those places almost daily and here almost never.

eguibs

Post by eguibs » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:05 pm

ericbazinga yeah it can possibly suffer from some lags on the raspberry pi but there are other boards at the same price with better specs, like odroid c1 or bananapi 2.

Exophase: thanks for your answer! I can see the problem you might possibly encounter especially with android users from my point of view i would be ready to pay but i don't think be representative of all mini boards users !