Uoyabause - sega Saturn emulator on Android. Wow

Post whatever!
acid
Uoyabause - sega Saturn emulator on Android. Wow

Post by acid » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:13 pm

So a new version of yabause just came out on Android a few days ago. I wasn't expecting much but I was wrong. I am in awe with this thing.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... se.android

whgang99

Re: Uoyabause - sega Saturn emulator on Android. Wow

Post by whgang99 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:40 pm

OMG! Gamecube, Playstation 2 and now even Sega Saturn!! Android is certainly catching up Windows as an emulation platform... While 7th generation console emulators are sort of stuck on PC, 6th generation emulators are being developed for Android.
Devices
- LG Q8: Qualcomm Snapdragon 820
- GPD XD Plus: MediaTek MT8176
- Laptop w/ Bluestack: i5-7300HQ

ericbazinga

Post by ericbazinga » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:23 pm

whgang99 wrote:OMG! Gamecube, Playstation 2 and now even Sega Saturn!! Android is certainly catching up Windows as an emulation platform... While 7th generation console emulators are sort of stuck on PC, 6th generation emulators are being developed for Android.
Now if only the emulators would get better...
(What I mean is that they won't run on my phone well and I wish they did.)

You can also find me on Reddit (u/Ericbazinga) and Discord (in the DraStic Discord server). You'll find me in those places almost daily and here almost never.

TkSilver

Post by TkSilver » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:31 pm

whgang99 wrote:OMG! Gamecube, Playstation 2 and now even Sega Saturn!! Android is certainly catching up Windows as an emulation platform... While 7th generation console emulators are sort of stuck on PC, 6th generation emulators are being developed for Android.
Two small things. 1. For the most part emulators tend to come out at the end of life of a console if not after it's death. Part of this is to give computers time to get powerful enough, but the other part is that most if not all emu developers really happen to like the console that they are emulating and do not wish to harm it's sales. Also while the "128bit emotion engine", an odd double percision 64bit MIPS chip, the PS2 used is annoying to emulate the ps3 is well worse. 2. Sega saturn is 5th generation like the ps1 and the dreamcast (emulated on android by the wonderful reicast) is 7th generation. It just happens thst the saturn with it's oddly coupled dual 32bit chips (not dual core dual chips) and odd timings were not just a pain for developers of the time but also for emulator designers of today. Also while I am a proid owner of a saturn, commercially it was not a success and it's game library whilemfull of some amazing gems does not garner the same cult status as dreamcast games do.
ericbazinga wrote: Now if only the emulators would get better...
(What I mean is that they won't run on my phone well and I wish they did.)
While a certain amount of optimizations can be done with any program there is generally a limit to how far down in system specs that can really benefit. Sadly only the Nvidia made products with superior Gpu performance are in a good position to take full advantage of what opengles 3.0 can do. Even my mali-628 feels the pressure of trying tomdo something most mobile gpu's were not really well designed for.

whgang99

Post by whgang99 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:07 am

TkSilver wrote:Two small things. 1. For the most part emulators tend to come out at the end of life of a console if not after it's death. Part of this is to give computers time to get powerful enough, but the other part is that most if not all emu developers really happen to like the console that they are emulating and do not wish to harm it's sales. Also while the "128bit emotion engine", an odd double percision 64bit MIPS chip, the PS2 used is annoying to emulate the ps3 is well worse. 2. Sega saturn is 5th generation like the ps1 and the dreamcast (emulated on android by the wonderful reicast) is 7th generation. It just happens thst the saturn with it's oddly coupled dual 32bit chips (not dual core dual chips) and odd timings were not just a pain for developers of the time but also for emulator designers of today. Also while I am a proid owner of a saturn, commercially it was not a success and it's game library whilemfull of some amazing gems does not garner the same cult status as dreamcast games do.
I know what rpcs3 team is doing is really difficult job and they actually made something miraculous last year - running first commercial games! But still, in user's point of view, rpcs3 can't do anything yet and is developing very slowly compared to something like Dolphin or PCSX2.. That even Citra 3DS is now running some 3D games with a few fps, I can't but doubt if playable PS3 emulator can come out : even in the far future. :(
Devices
- LG Q8: Qualcomm Snapdragon 820
- GPD XD Plus: MediaTek MT8176
- Laptop w/ Bluestack: i5-7300HQ