Controller suggestion

Post whatever!
Fefo
Controller suggestion

Post by Fefo » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:37 am

I've been looking for a controller to play emulators on my PC/phone and want to know what do you use/suggest. There are some restrictions though:

Not Xbox: I hate swapped XABY;
Cross platform: Should work on Windows/Android, preferably with minimal effort;
Wired/Wireless: Can be used on both forms without problem, like "low battery? *plug it and keep playing*";
"Standard": No need for specific cables;
No OTG: My Nexus 4 doesn't support it natively;
Clip-like supports are a plus.

So far the DS4 has lingered on my mind, but it's terribly expensive on my country. What do you say?
Last edited by Fefo on Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
BE ATTITUDE FOR ENGRISH

TkSilver

Re: Controller suggestion

Post by TkSilver » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:02 pm

The gamestop red samurai v2 controller is one of the better android controllers and if you can find one they are cheep (at least in the us they are $7.95 when I picked up mine)

The big issue comes when you try to use a wireless controller with android that is not made for android (ds3/ds4, xbox360 (sometimes), wii (no longer compatable), a good amount of wireless pc bluetooth controllers). Either you can only get them to work sometimes and on only some devices, you neer root access that not everyone has on their device, compatability with emulators is spotty (pc wireles/usb mainly), or a combination of multiple of these issues.

You are better off trying to get an android controller to work on your pc as long as
1. your pc has bluetooth or you are willing to spend a little extra to add bluetooth (usb dongle/internal card)
2. You do not mind spending the time it will take to get a program to set up your controller. (There should be a program that will work with almost any controller, that is the advantage of pc. However finding it may take some time and effort)

The best of all options however is to get 2 controllers. One made to work with your android device and one fpr your pc. Then set up is easy and compatability should be high.

Fefo

Post by Fefo » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:54 am

http://www.gamestop.com/android/accesso ... -v2/104425
SOOO cheap, wtf... But nope, no GameStop on Brasil AFAIK.

Root and setup are non-issues. 2 controllers are a big no-no to me, so I don't mind losing a bit of time to make everything work as far as it does.

I'll add more pro/cons to my list.

So far what i know:

- X360/X1 controllers work as intended, of course. But I hated my X360 for emulators: Inverted XABY, mushy buttons, terrible D-pad;
- DS3 need an app on Android and a wrapper on Windows, looks like it works aceptably (does it emulate pressure buttons?). Cheaper than a DS4, but not enough to be worth;
- DS4 work without a wrapper as DINPUT, but there are nice functions like touchpad support on some. Looks like it might work on OTG, but I need an app for wireless;
- From what I read Wii U Pro got godly battery and can be used on both platforms, but I don't know for sure;
- "Generic" third-part controllers goes here. There are so many that it's hard to find info on them, so suggestions like yours are very welcome.
BE ATTITUDE FOR ENGRISH

Fefo

Post by Fefo » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:50 pm

Still on my neverending quest for the perfect controller. Not many changes, but as far as I researched there's no controller with an in-built support capable of holding a phone on portrait mode. Did I miss something or I'll need to do a custom?
BE ATTITUDE FOR ENGRISH

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:28 am

I only spent a couple minutes searching, but does this not support portrait mode? http://phonejoy.com/

The review here says it does: http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Android/ ... sp?c=58812

Fefo

Post by Fefo » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:49 am

Thank you, haven't found anything.

Looks like it does, however not without some concessions to me: XBOX's XABY, XBOX-like D-Pad, known for it's crappiness, and analog sliders, not known for it's durability. Importing would be necessary, making it go far beyond my budget.
BE ATTITUDE FOR ENGRISH