Just a suggestion...

Post whatever!
huckleberrypie
Re: Just a suggestion...

Post by huckleberrypie » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:32 am

Exophase wrote:The bots already wait after registering before posting.. and the last thing I want to do is punish anyone for not knowing Pokemon :/
Based on what I've observed the spam seems to be coming from a single source. Blanket-banning a country or two isn't an option either, given how there are some legit users from China.

Oh, and how about this? What if we move to PHPBB3 (well since this site appears to be running on 2.x) or better yet MyBB? Not sure how that would fare migration-wise, but in my case I never had any spam troubles ever since I used a spam blacklist mod.

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:34 am

huckleberrypie wrote:
Exophase wrote:The bots already wait after registering before posting.. and the last thing I want to do is punish anyone for not knowing Pokemon :/
Based on what I've observed the spam seems to be coming from a single source. Blanket-banning a country or two isn't an option either, given how there are some legit users from China.

Oh, and how about this? What if we move to PHPBB3 (well since this site appears to be running on 2.x) or better yet MyBB? Not sure how that would fare migration-wise, but in my case I never had any spam troubles ever since I used a spam blacklist mod.
that would really affert my hard earned 1000 posts ;)

but seriously, there must be an easier way to combat the bots...
Behold my mighty

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:25 am

huckleberrypie wrote:Based on what I've observed the spam seems to be coming from a single source. Blanket-banning a country or two isn't an option either, given how there are some legit users from China.
huckleberrypie wrote:
I've been IP banning them again, that should help.. slightly. I can wildcard to some extent but they're coming from a fair different number of blocks.
huckleberrypie wrote:Oh, and how about this? What if we move to PHPBB3 (well since this site appears to be running on 2.x) or better yet MyBB? Not sure how that would fare migration-wise, but in my case I never had any spam troubles ever since I used a spam blacklist mod.
You probably got this from IRC, but for what it's worth we're already on phpBB3. It was 3.0.11, but I upgraded to 3.0.12.

It turns out I don't even have founder status, the owner of the web space set it up for me and has it, and that's probably why I'm not able to install AutoMOD. Hopefully the founder will set my status soon, if not I'll go in and hack the MySQL database.

huckleberrypie

Post by huckleberrypie » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:28 am

Exophase wrote:You probably got this from IRC, but for what it's worth we're already on phpBB3. It was 3.0.11, but I upgraded to 3.0.12.

It turns out I don't even have founder status, the owner of the web space set it up for me and has it, and that's probably why I'm not able to install AutoMOD. Hopefully the founder will set my status soon, if not I'll go in and hack the MySQL database.
So that explains it. And I kinda' mistook the site for a PHPBB 2.x one mostly due to the skin used.

kaikun97

Post by kaikun97 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:03 pm

Exophase wrote:And almost no sooner than you post this do we get hit with dozens of spam messages. Normally when they get through just a few things get posted. I really don't want to set a tight frequency post limit for new posters but I also really don't want to have to manually remove a ton of spam :/

I'm guessing someone answered the registration question manually and maybe it's in some spammer database somewhere. We changed it before, but it's really hard to think of things that are going to be obvious to everyone who will want to post here.

huckleberrypie, do you use IRC? If so maybe we could talk about it more there..
you have an irc channel for drastic ds? whats the server and channel?

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:22 pm

kaikun97 wrote:you have an irc channel for drastic ds? whats the server and channel?
The IRC channels aren't very interesting these days, but you can join #drastic_pokemon (the channel I set up to get Pokemon testers in :P) on freenode.

huckleberrypie

Post by huckleberrypie » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:03 pm

What if we set up a Skype group session or some other venue besides IRC?

kaikun97

Post by kaikun97 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:22 am

huckleberrypie wrote:What if we set up a Skype group session or some other venue besides IRC?
irc tends to be the best place place though, just use an irc client

kaikun97

Post by kaikun97 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:35 pm

My forum was SimpleMachines powered and never got bots ever. I cant remember what capcha system it used (I recently took it down :3)