Best GBA emulator on android?

Post whatever!
Exophase
Re: Best GBA emulator on android?

Post by Exophase » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:39 am

For what it's worth, My Boy isn't related to gpSP.

TiagoVeloso

Post by TiagoVeloso » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:55 am

Really?

MyBoy! UI is entirely similar to GameBoid, since the arrangement of menus until the names of the strings.
They have changed a bit over time but you can realize that it's GameBoid-based.

And the information I have is that GameBoid (from yongzh) was based on gpSP2X 0.9-2xb, which was based on gpSP v0.91.

I would love to know more about it! :)
Moto G
ROM: Android 4.3 (stock)
SoC: Snapdragon 400
CPU: Cortex-A7 1.2 GHz (quad-core)
GPU: Adreno 305 450 MHz

slamandar

Post by slamandar » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:24 am

i think Myboy is the best one because its the most updated and ever rom i have work great on it , even golden sun 1 and golden sun : the lost age worked fine on it . those 2 game crash on other emulators or run slowly like on gameboid
Sorry if my English is bad, I'm French !

kaikun97

Post by kaikun97 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:55 pm

slamandar wrote:i think Myboy is the best one because its the most updated and ever rom i have work great on it , even golden sun 1 and golden sun : the lost age worked fine on it . those 2 game crash on other emulators or run slowly like on gameboid

also gba.emu runs every rom. it does run slower but on a dual core 1.7ghz device u get no slowdown. i used to use myboy but buggy sound emulation on some games put me off so i got gba.emu

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:18 pm

TiagoVeloso wrote:Really?

MyBoy! UI is entirely similar to GameBoid, since the arrangement of menus until the names of the strings.
They have changed a bit over time but you can realize that it's GameBoid-based.

And the information I have is that GameBoid (from yongzh) was based on gpSP2X 0.9-2xb, which was based on gpSP v0.91.

I would love to know more about it! :)
Well I don't know 100% as I haven't talked to the author. I only have it on good faith from someone who says he has, and the knowledge that MyBoy does enough stuff that isn't in gpSP or works differently that it at least can't be a wholesale ripoff.

It is however possible that the GUI was copied from yongzh's GUI library at some point.

tomkatt

Post by tomkatt » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:42 pm

kaikun97 wrote:
beansta wrote:Its all a matter of preference. I could get myboy running fullspeed on a sony ericsson x10 mini (which isnt a good phone at any stretch of the imagination, @ 750mhz when overclocked).
i can agree gba.emu requires a faster device but u get more acurate emulation. my s4 mini is pretty powerful (1.7ghz dual core snapdragon 400 krait) so i can run it with no frameskip. same goes with drastic ds too
Do you know this for certain or is this just conjecture?

kaikun97

Post by kaikun97 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:46 pm

tomkatt wrote:
kaikun97 wrote:
beansta wrote:Its all a matter of preference. I could get myboy running fullspeed on a sony ericsson x10 mini (which isnt a good phone at any stretch of the imagination, @ 750mhz when overclocked).
i can agree gba.emu requires a faster device but u get more acurate emulation. my s4 mini is pretty powerful (1.7ghz dual core snapdragon 400 krait) so i can run it with no frameskip. same goes with drastic ds too
Do you know this for certain or is this just conjecture?
im pretty sure gba.emu has more acurate emulation. for starters the sound emulation is better. on highest quality sound on myboy u tend to get some static (no static on highest quality on myboy). u get stuff such as highest colour mode and a lot of features myboy doesnt have. I may be wrong but in my view the emulation is better. ive always had problems with myboy (including flickering in some games with frameskip turned off which isnt a problem in gba.emu). anyways I dont want to start an argument but i bought gba.emu and i find the emulation is much nicer

kaikun97

Post by kaikun97 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:53 pm

my boy is based off gpsp and gba.emu is based off vba-m. which emu is better better depends on which Core is better. Gpsp or Vba-m

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:19 pm

I really don't think it's based off of gpSP. For one thing it doesn't require a BIOS so at least he'd have had to code that, which has some implications on the internal design.

If anyone has compelling evidence to the contrary I'd like to know.

tomkatt

Post by tomkatt » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:49 pm

I was under the impression that My Boy was coded natively for Android. AFAIK it's not a port, though that's not to say it doesn't use any GPL code. I don't think the source is released, so I'm assuming it's not based on gpsp or anything gpl though.